The RCN Northern Region represents almost 18,000 nurses, health care assistants, nursing students and midwives from across the North East and Cumbria. Members work in a wide range of healthcare settings, both in the independent sectors and in the NHS. We represent members from south of the Scottish borders to north of Yorkshire & Humber. Our region stretches from the coastline of the Irish sea in the west, to the North sea coast in the east.
Support for members and other membership benefits
The backbone of our support for members is provided by our regional RCN representatives - volunteers who ensure that members are treated fairly and with dignity and respect in the workplace. We also employ legal advisers - RCN officers and staff who provide members with support and help if required.
There are many benefits to becoming a full member of the RCN. As well as providing free access to a wide range of professional and educational resources (such as the RCN e-library), members have access to RCN Direct, which provides free telephone advice to members from 8.30am to 8.30pm, 365 days a year on 0845 772 6100.
Nobody wants to be in a position where they are unfairly or wrongly accused of malpractice, or are put into a position which leads to a professional dilemma. In the same way that you would insure your car against being in a collision, it makes sense to insure yourself against a problem in the workplace. Once you are a member, you have access to high quality representation, so whatever happens, you are supported. We even provide free legal advice, if required. Isn't it time you joined the RCN?
There are a number of other resources available on the Northern Region's web pages:
- RCN Northern Region board
- RCN Northern Region board minutes
- Regional news releases
- Branch structural review
Branch minutes and contact details are available via the individual branch web pages (see below).
Get in touch
Whether you are an existing member, or interested in becoming a member, the RCN Northern Region wants to hear from you. You can contact us during normal office hours.
- Telephone: 0345 772 6100
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: RCN Northern Region, 2nd Floor, Avalon House, St Catherine's Court, Sunderland Enterprise Park, Sunderland SR5 3XJ.
There are five branches in the Northern Region. Contact details for each branch, as well as the minutes of their meetings are posted on their web pages:
These branches were formed in 2008, following a review of the old branch boundaries. Please see the Branch Boundary Implementation Group page for further information.
The board consists of elected members representing both RCN branches and fields of practice. The board is established to advance the work of the RCN in the Northern Region in accordance with the main aims and objects of the RCN as set out in the Charter.
In addition, we have 16 full and part time staff employed at our regional office in Sunderland. They undertake a range of activities including member representation, administration, recruitment, media and communications:
- Regional Director: Glenn Turp
- Operational Manager: Estephanie Dunn
- Regional Service Manager and Personal Assistant to the Regional Director: Julie Lockhart
- Officers: Sandra Bullock and Greg Canning
- Communications Officer: Jake Turnbull
- Assistant Communications Officer: Helen Apsey
- Assistant Officers: Lin Clarkson, Heather Whitton and Janet MacLean
- Learning and Development Facilitator: Heather Whitton
- Administrative team: Mandy Clark, Angela Merry, Joanne Puech, Colette Ross, and Michele Lowther.