Equality and diversity in Yorkshire and the Humber
Why not become a diversity champion?
RCN diversity champions push to achieve equality of opportunity and value diversity within their workplace - acting as leaders for diversity and equality. They are role models, taking actions when appropriate and addressing behaviours when necessary. They ask questions to check that diversity in its broadest sense is being recognised, understood and considered as integral to the decision making and evaluation processes. A good diversity champion doesn't need to know all the answers but needs to be prepared to spend some time developing their own personal competencies around diversity and equality issues.
- recognise that diversity and equality are intrinsic to the success and performance of their own organisation
- treat others with dignity and respect
- challenge and overcome obstacles in mainstreaming diversity and equality issues
- create a positive work environment
- place a high value on diversity and fairness
- remove any barriers that may impede progress around diversity and equality issues
- actively support efforts to make the work environment and his/her respective organisation inclusive
- make an effort to regularly communicate the benefits of diversity and the organisation's successes within that agenda.
Interested? Sign-up today
Yorkshire and the Humber region, along with the RCN's Diversity and Equality Unit support local diversity champions with weekly email updates, customised training and development as well as a monthly in-depth briefing on specific diversity and equality issues. Find out more about diversity champions or contact Adele Bird, Regional Membership Development Facilitator, at: email@example.com.
RCN diversity toolkit
The RCN takes an innovative approach to sharing information. Find out more about the diversity toolkit.