Chair of Council
Term: 2013 - 2017
Positions held on Council
- Chair of Council
- Council Member Scotland
- Vice Chair of Council 2011-2013
- Member of the Membership and Representation Committee
- Member of the Remuneration Committee
- Member of the Governance Support Committee
- Member of the Awards Panel
- Member of the Agenda Committee
Previous RCN appointments
- Member of the Trade Union Governance Group
Michael has been a nurse and a member of the RCN since 1989. He is currently working as a partnership representative but previous to this he was a senior nurse within acute and rehabilitation stroke care. He has a strong interest in advances in rehabilitative medicine.
He took on an activist role in 1992 becoming a steward and safety representative and was involved in the implementation of Agenda for Change. He continues to be involved in workforce planning and change. This knowledge of the issues that affect nurses on the shop floor gives him an understanding of the work of the RCN locally and nationally.
Michael is presently a board member for Ayrshire and is privileged to represent Scotland's nurses on national groups giving nursing a voice within Scotland's government. Outside of work, Michael is a season ticket holder at Celtic Park and has two daughters who are involved in the Scottish karate circuit.