Employment Relations Department
The Employment Relations Department (ERD) provides the UK strategic lead for nurses' pay, and terms and conditions wherever they are employed in the health and social care sector. This includes leading negotiations to improve pay and working conditions for nursing staff in the NHS and in the independent and private sectors.
If you have an enquiry about your individual employment situation, please ring RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100 or contact your country or regional office.
Through commissioned research and working with external stakeholders, we gather and provide up to date information on the nursing labour market, workforce developments, and changes in policies as well as economic and political trends that have an impact on the nursing workforce. ERD represents RCN members as part of the wider family of NHS trade unions and also through the various partnership structures that represent members working outside of the NHS.
ERD has a role in ensuring health care environments are socially inclusive and diversity is recognised as a valuable feature of work. Another important area of work for ERD is in influencing policy that affects nurses' physical and psychosocial working environments. We are responsible for supporting an effective workplace representative structure for stewards, learning reps and safety reps across the UK.
ERD also participates in social dialogue within Europe and contributes to the development of good employment relations for RCN members within the wider nursing professional bodies globally.
ERD publishes a number of reports (publications) including the biannual membership employment surveys and the annual labour market review as well as other reports on topics related to employment relations issues relevant to RCN members. ERD also provides information and advice to members on a number of employment relations issues, such as pay and pensions, health and safety and diversity.
The employment relations team
Josie Irwin - Head of Employment Relations; email email@example.com
- lead negotiator for the RCN and Staff-Side Secretary for NHS Staff Council
- leads and manages the ERD team.
Janice Morton - PA to Josie Irwin, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Didovich - Senior Employment Relations Adviser: workforce - roles and representation; email email@example.com
- UK lead for system reform, the independent, private and non-NHS public sectors
- UK lead for workforce planning and healthcare reforms
- Employment relations strategies for the independent sector and the non-NHS public sector
- Leads recognition negotiations with non-NHS employer organisations
- Develops negotiating strategies for recognised employers
Nicola Lee - Employment Relations Adviser; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lead on the review of NHS ill health benefits provision
- Lead on equality and diversity in employment and on the ageing nursing workforce
Rachael McIlroy– Research and Information Officer; email email@example.com
- Commissioning and undertaking employment relations research to support ERD work, including the RCN Employment Survey
- Coordination of RCN and NHS trade union evidence to the NHS Pay Review Body
Kim Sunley - Senior Employment Relations Adviser: working environment and health and safety; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- UK policy lead on health and safety, including violence, stress and sharps injuries
- Improving working environments
- New and emerging hazards
- Supports developments in the RCN safety representatives structures.
Gary Kirwan – Employment Relations Adviser; email email@example.com
- NHS Direct
- Health Protection Agency
- Ministry of Defence/SSAFA
- Learning Reps Committee
- Union Learning Fund
- Joint Action Group - TUC and Skills for Health
- L&D pathway for reps
- Activist Zone
- Agenda for Change KSF group
- Personalised health agenda
Gerry O’Dwyer - Senior Employment Relations Adviser: Pay & Pensions; email gerry.o’firstname.lastname@example.orgUK policy lead for pay, terms and conditions and pensions
- Monitoring developments relating to remuneration and developing strategies for improving pay, terms and conditions packages across the NHS, independent and private sectors
- Ensuring membership input into policy development and NHS Staff Council negotiations through appropriate RCN mechanisms
- Supporting RCN stewards
Jenny Lillywhite - Representative Support Officer; email email@example.com
- Supports RCN representative UK committees
- Coordinates planning of the UK representative annual conferences
- Works with the senior ERD advisers in identifying support needs for representatives
Gill Morgan – Employment Relations Adviser (seconded from South East region); email firstname.lastname@example.org
- NHS Blood and Transplant
- Sue Ryder Care
Clare Jacobs – Employment Relations Adviser (seconded from Eastern region); email
- Independent sector strategy
- Marie Curie Cancer Care
- HCA International
- Choice Support
Brian Morton - Employment Relations Adviser (seconded from Scotland); email email@example.com
- Care Quality Commission
- NHS Professionals
- Partnerships in Care
- Prisons/criminal justice
Caroline Allen - Employment Relations Administrator; email firstname.lastname@example.org
All members of the team can all be contact by postal address at: Royal College of Nursing, Employment Relations Department, 20 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0RN and by phone on 020 7647 3565.