RCN UK library replan: your space is changing
Work to modernise the RCN headquarter’s library in London is almost finished.
So that we can complete the final stages of refurbishing what will become the new RCN Library and Heritage Centre, the temporary RCN library at 20 Cavendish Square, London, will be closing from Monday 3 June 2013.
On 5 August 2013 the new RCN UK library space will permanently re-open with access via a new entrance on Henrietta Place. It will feature:
- hundreds of key nursing titles and journals
- a fully-equipped seminar room where you can hold or attend nursing learning and development sessions
- a relaxing cafe which is also open to the public – meet your friends for a coffee, or hold an informal meeting
- laptops available to borrow while working in the Library & Heritage Centre
- quiet study areas.
In autumn 2013 the Heritage Centre and exhibition space will open and will include:
- nursing exhibition space with changing installations – our opening exhibition will trace the story of the skill of the nursing profession throughout the years
- Nursing History Collection – have a look at fascinating items from nursing’s past.
The plans will transform the current library space into a contemporary social and learning hub for members to visit, retaining all of its existing services while introducing new technologies to meet your learning needs. The end result aims to provide members, staff and the general public with access to the facilities they need to learn about, influence and celebrate the art and science of nursing.
The RCN libraries in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will remain open during this period.
The RCN library: more than just books
The UK library in London is the largest nursing and midwifery library in the world with 1,000 journals and 1,100 e-books. While the interim service is in operation you can still:
- download whole journal articles
- access thousands of free nursing-specific publications
- use information databases including the British Nursing Index, Medline and Cinahl
- have live web chats with information professionals if you’re struggling to find information
- create and update your portfolio and CV
- take short modules on the RCN Learning Zone to show your continuing professional development.
This page will be regularly updated over the coming months with timescales and how library services will be maintained during the works, but if you have any queries about the project, please email email@example.com