Library and Information Services
Based at RCN Wales HQ in Cardiff, we offer friendly and dedicated service for RCN members. We provide access to a wide range of learning and information resources, including access to our core nursing book and journal collection.
You can use our PCs to access the internet and use key health databases, or take advantage of information training offered by specialist staff.
Free parking is available on site while you are using the library.
Our experienced and approachable library staff will be happy to help you with any enquiry, large or small, and offer support for any problems you may experience with our resources. Full contact details can be found at the bottom of the page.
- We offer RCN members training in information skills, including how to search databases. We can deliver training either 1:1 or in groups. If you can't get into the library, these sessions can also be conducted over the phone, or via a web-based training session known as a webinar. To take part in a webinar, all you need is an internet connection and a phone line. Please contact us for further details.
- The library has four member PCs with free internet access and use of Microsoft applications.
- Specialist staff are on hand to advise RCN members on getting the most out of online resources including the RCN's e-Library and the NHS Wales e-Library
- The RCN’s e-Library now includes access to more than 1000 online journals, more than 1100 e-books and health databases.
Literature search service
As an RCN member you can request literature searches free of charge from one of our library staff.
Please note: this service is not available to RCN student members, but we are always happy to offer any support we can, including database training.
If you would like to request a literature search please complete our online literature search request form or phone the library on 029 2068 0734.
Borrowing books in person or by post
As an RCN member you can borrow up to eight books from the library at any one time, and, provided they are not required by another member, you can renew books up to three times. Books have a loan period of four weeks.
We are happy to post out library books to RCN members who are unable to borrow books from us in person.
- You can search the RCN library catalogue to find books and check their availability.
If you need help with using our catalogue then you might like to download the Guide to the RCN Library Catalogue (PDF 110KB).
If we don’t have the book in stock then it is possible for you to request a copy directly from the RCN UK library in London. If a book that you need is not held by the RCN libraries, we may be still be able to obtain it from the British Library at a cost of £5 per item.
As well as providing access to more than 700 electronic journals through the RCN e-library, we also hold hard copies of a core range of nursing journals.
Document delivery services
- Photocopying is charged at a rate of £2.50 per journal article from the RCN libraries. Journal articles from the British Library cost £5 each.
If you would like to request journal articles to be sent to you, please print and complete our photocopy request form (Word 71KB) .
Please note: it is important to ensure that you sign the copyright declaration by hand, as this is required by law.
You can then return your form to the library by post or fax.
Further information on services and a range of online guides can be found on the UK Library Services and Archives page.
Please contact RCN Wales library staff for more information on any of our services:
- Library and Information Services Manager: Angela Perrett firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information Specialist: Sally Brockway email@example.com
- Library email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 029 2068 0734
Fax: 029 2068 0755
King George V Drive East
Cardiff CF14 4XZ
- Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 5.00pm