Information on how to download a PDF file can be found here.
- Department of Health Advanced Level Nursing: A Position Statement (PDF 464 KB) is intended to be used as a benchmark to enhance patient safety and the delivery of high quality care by supporting local governance, assisting in good employment practices and encouraging consistency in use of titles. This position statement has been developed for nursing but it may have relevance to midwifery, health visiting and allied health professionals.
- National Leadership and Innovation Agency for healthcare: Framework for Advanced Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional Practice in Wales (PDF 960 KB). The development of Advanced Practitioners has presented significant opportunities for role development and service innovation. This framework is therefore, an essential enabling tool to support current and future role development.
- RCN's position on advanced nursing practice (PDF 34KB) is a policy statement from April 2010 which lays out the RCN's views on regulation of advanced practice.
Guidance, booklets, updates
- The International survey on Advanced Practice Nurses by Pulcini (2008) (PowerPoint, 301 KB) is a really interesting piece of work which demonstrates how key the topic of advanced practice is across the world. It shows that we are behind other countries with regulation of an advanced level of practice.
- The Department of Health has produced an interim report (PDF, 194 KB) on extending regulation within which the Advanced Nurse Practitioner role is being assessed with a view to it being regulated.
- Darzi report (PDF, 1109 KB) is a must read for all nurse practitioners.
- The Maxi Nurse. Advanced and specialist nursing roles (2005) (PDF, 231 KB) document is a useful survey which has informed many of the developments of advanced nursing roles.
- Supporting the Development of Advanced Nursing Practice (2008) (PDF, 610 KB) is a draft document which the Department of Health commissioned as an ongoing piece of work following on from the Modernising Nursing Careers work. I believe it will prove to be a key document in driving the advanced practice agenda forward towards regulation.
- Nurse Practitioner Association Survey (2006) (MS Word, 605 KB) was produced to find out where most of the NPA membership work and in what kind of roles. A point to note is that it was carried out before Independent Nurse Prescribing had been implemented. RCN publications
- Advanced nurse practitioners - an RCN guide to the advanced nurse practitioner role, competencies and programme accreditation (pub code 003 207) (PDF | Filesize: 492KB).
- Clinical imaging requests from non-medically qualified professionals (November 2006) (Pub code 003 101) (PDF | Filesize: 156 KB)
Also available to order from RCN Direct on 0845 772 6100.