Caring for you while you care for others
Health care assistants (HCAs) and assistant practitioners (APs) are hugely valued members of the RCN and the nursing team. Although there are a wide range of titles used to describe these roles, we have chosen to encompass all of these under the titles HCA and AP.
Look on the left hand side of this page for topics that interest you, and see below for a full listing of the content.
The First Steps survey is here!
Have you used the RCN’s popular First Steps learning resource for HCAs? If you have, please take part in our online survey. We are very keen to hear your experiences with using First Steps. The survey should take 10-15 minutes and will be open until 1st December. Please let your friends and colleagues know too - we would like to hear from as many people as possible who have used this resource.
Kershaw Family Bursary for health care assistants and assistant practitioners
The RCN Foundation's bursaries of up to £500 for health care assistants and assistant practitioners, to encourage and support them in furthering their careers, are now open. Read on for further information and how to apply.
Closing date for applications: 21 January 2015
New online learning resource
HCAs and APs in all areas of nursing support people in making changes to their lifestyle and behaviour, from adopting a healthier lifestyle to empowering individuals to managing their own health.
The RCN resource to help staff support people with behaviour and lifestyle change is now available on the CPD area of the RCN web site and is an open access resource for anyone involved in supporting lifestyle and behaviour change. Find out more.
Health care support workers can join the RCN in our health practitioner membership category, and enjoy the huge range of benefits on offer. Find out more and urge your colleagues to join today.
- Consultation on apprenticeship standards is open
- New guidance out on handling feedback
- Nursing Standard Nurse Awards 2015
- Inside Out of Mind
- The Care Quality Commission
- Care Bill Receives Royal Assent
- RCN responds to National consultation on a NHS bands 1-4 workforce strategy
- New online learning resource: Communication skills in health care
- Vaccination guidance for HCSWs has been updated
- Accountability and delegation
- RCN Direct online advice
- Record keeping
- Nursing practice issues
Working in health care support
- More about working in health care including how to become an assistant pracitioner or a health care assistant.
- Education and training
- Scholarships and awards
- The RCN HCA and AP Network
- Become an RCN representative
- Become a five-minute activist
- Join an RCN forum
- Become a diversity champion