RCN HCAs & APs
Caring for you while you care for others
Health care assistants (HCAs) and assistant practitioners (APs) are hugely valued members of the RCN and the nursing team. Although there are a wide range of titles used to describe these roles, we have chosen to encompass all of these under the titles HCA and AP.
Look on the left hand side of this page for topics that interest you, and see below for a full listing of the content.
Care certificate guidance and materials have been launched
The care certificate will go live from April 2015 in England. It is intended to be one part of the induction for staff who are employed as Health Care Assistants, Assistant Practitioners, Care Support Workers and those giving support to clinical roles in the NHS where there is any direct contact with patients.
Further information is available on the following sites:
Online learning resource to help you support behaviour change
HCAs and APs in all areas of nursing support people in making changes to their lifestyle and behaviour, from adopting a healthier lifestyle to empowering individuals to managing their own health.
The RCN resource to help staff support people with behaviour and lifestyle change is now available on the CPD area of the RCN web site and is an open access resource for anyone involved in supporting lifestyle and behaviour change. Find out more.
Health care support workers can join the RCN in our health practitioner membership category, and enjoy the huge range of benefits on offer. Find out more and urge your colleagues to join today.
- Care certificate guidance and materials have been launched
- RCN to change health practitioner membership definition
- Consultation on apprenticeship standards is open
- New guidance out on handling feedback
- Nursing Standard Nurse Awards 2015
- Inside Out of Mind
- The Care Quality Commission
- New online learning resource: Communication skills in health care
- Vaccination guidance for HCSWs has been updated
- Accountability and delegation
- RCN Direct online advice
- Record keeping
- Nursing practice issues
Working in health care support
- More about working in health care including how to become an assistant pracitioner or a health care assistant.
- Education and training
- Scholarships and awards
- The RCN HCA and AP Network
- Become an RCN representative
- Become a five-minute activist
- Join an RCN forum
- Become a diversity champion