Caring for you while you care for others
Health care assistants (HCAs) and assistant practitioners (APs) are hugely valued members of the RCN and the nursing team. Although there are a wide range of titles used to describe these roles, we have chosen to encompass all of these under the titles HCA and AP.
Look on the left hand side of this page for topics that interest you, and see below for a full listing of the content.
New online learning resource
HCAs and APs in all areas of nursing support people in making changes to their lifestyle and behaviour, from adopting a healthier lifestyle to empowering individuals to managing their own health.
The RCN resource to help staff support people with behaviour and lifestyle change is now available on the CPD area of the RCN web site and is an open access resource for anyone involved in supporting lifestyle and behaviour change. Find out more.
In the news
Royal Assent has now been granted to the Care Act, which means that the Care Certificate, originally recommended by Camilla Cavendish in her 2013 review into health care assistants and support workers, will become mandatory in 2015. Find out more.
Health care support workers can join the RCN in our health practitioner membership category, and enjoy the huge range of benefits on offer. Find out more and urge your colleagues to join today.
- Your views needed on code of conduct for health care support workers
- The Care Quality Commission
- Care Bill Receives Royal Assent
- RCN responds to National consultation on a NHS bands 1-4 workforce strategy
- HEE Launches First National Consultation on a NHS Bands 1-4 Workforce Strategy
- New online learning resource: Communication skills in health care
- Vaccination guidance for HCSWs has been updated
- Accountability and delegation
- RCN Direct online advice
- Record keeping
- Nursing practice issues
Working in health care support
- More about working in health care including how to become an assistant pracitioner or a health care assistant.
- Education and training
- Scholarships and awards
- The RCN HCA and AP Network
- Become an RCN representative
- Become a five-minute activist
- Join an RCN forum
- Become a diversity champion