Borrowing and services
- Book loans
- Postal loans
- Inter-library loans
- Photocopying request forms
- Literature searching
- Health Library and Information Services Directory (HLISD)
- RCN members can borrow up to eight items for a period of four weeks. It is your responsibility to make a note of the due dates and return or renew items by those dates.
- Reference items and journals cannot be borrowed, and are for library use only.
- Books and videos can be borrowed by post. We only charge for the cost of postage. Please contact us to check availability.
- Items may be renewed up to three times after the loan period, provided they have not been requested by another reader.
- You can renew your library books by taking your RCN membership card to the library reception desk or issue desk, or by phoning and quoting your RCN membership number.
- You can also renew your own books online. Go to online renewals.
- If another reader has requested a book then it cannot be renewed.
- We can reserve items for you and let you know when they have been returned and are available for collection. (Maximum four items at a time).
- For a charge, we can try to obtain out-of-stock items from other libraries.
- Self-service photocopying facilities are available in all our libraries.
- Postal photocopying is also available. It can take up to two weeks from receipt of your request.
- A charge of £2.50 per article held at the RCN. (£5.00 per article not held at the RCN and £5.00 per book not held at the RCN).
- Charges for non-members and libraries: £7.50 per article held at the RCN posted within the UK / £10.00 per article posted overseas.
- Libraries may continue to use their British Library account.
- During any postal strikes, if you would like your articles faxed to you, please add your fax number clearly to the form.
- Please make your request by printing the appropriate request form listed below and send it, with a cheque, or fax it to us with credit/debit card details.
- Photocopy request form for the UK Library (Word 40KB) (PDF 48KB) [see how to access PDF files].
- Photocopy request form RCN Northern Ireland Library and Information Zone (Word 35KB) (PDF 84KB) [see how to access PDF files].
- Photocopy request form RCN Wales Library (Word 72KB) (PDF 61KB) [see how to access PDF files].
- A range of online sources are available to search for references on a subject including British Nursing Index, Maternity & Infant Care, CINHAL, Medline, Social Policy and Practice and the RCN Library Catalogue. For further information got to e-Library.
- Full members of the RCN can request a literature search. Go to the literature search request.
- We are happy to offer searching advice to student members. Please contact your local library in Contact us.
A searchable online directory of health libraries in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Includes library contact details, access policies and opening times.