Public Health Forum
The public health forum is one of the many RCN nursing communities. It is for anyone whose role includes supporting the improvement of the public’s health. RCN members cross nearly every area of nursing practice and specialist areas from those working in community nursing teams such as district nurses, health visitors and school nurses to occupational health nurses and those with a more specialist roles working in, for example; sexual health, health protection, tuberculosis treatment and prevention, immunisation and travel health.
The forum is open for all RCN members to join. To sign up, see: MyRCN.
The public health forum steering committee works to coordinate and promote public health initiatives across the RCN. For more information, see: Meet the team. The committee is supported by the Public Health Professional Lead who works within the nursing team as part of the wider RCN nursing department. See: Nursing Department nurse advisers.
There is a dedicated section of the website under the nursing practice issues area related to public health nursing which has a wide range of information and resources: See: Public health.
Each year the Public Health Forum steering committee meets to review work undertaken in the last year and plan work for the next 12 - 18 months. The notes of the last strategy meeting highlight some of the successes over the year and also the priorities for the next year. The forum works with a number of other RCN forums, professional groups and public health organisations to ensure that public health nurses are represented at all levels alongside promoting the specialism of public health.
Public Health Strategy Day - Notes - 8 June 2015 PDF (191KB)
Public Health nursing forum blogs
- Michelle Clayton says it's important to look after your liver: Love your liver
- NHS England Flu Fighter Champion 2014, Stu Young, encourages members to get themselves vaccinated: Front line flu fighting
- Nicola Meredith urges nursing staff to get their annual flu vaccine: Facing up to flu
- Jason Warriner urges you all to challenge your local election candidates: A vote for public health
- To mark World TB Day, Trish Costello, a contact tracing nurse, discusses the nurse’s role in screening for the disease within institutional settings: Leadership culture in schools and its effects on onsite TB screening
- Sarah Murphy tell us about her work as a TB Nurse Specialist and examines the potential impact - both positive and negative – of public health intervention in the fight against the disease: Is public health ever bad for your health?
- Forum member Anne Thomas describes leading an initiative with the outpatient team at Dolgellau Community Hospital in North Wales: Healthy Hearts
- Helen Kirk provides an insight into the role of the occupational health nurse: Occupational health nursing in practice
- Sandra Grieve encourages you to attend the Northern European Conference on Travel Medicine in 2016: Join us in London
- Forum Chair Jason Warriner discusses the importance of ensuring funding for HIV services continue: We need to keep a close eye on funding
- Forum committee member and travel health expert Sandra Grieve discusses malaria: No room for complacency