Public Health Forum
The public health forum is one of the many RCN nursing communities. It is for anyone whose role includes supporting the improvement of the public’s health. RCN members cross nearly every area of nursing practice and specialist areas from those working in community nursing teams such as district nurses, health visitors and school nurses to occupational health nurses and those with a more specialist roles working in, for example; sexual health, health protection, tuberculosis treatment and prevention, immunisation and travel health.
The forum is open for all RCN members to join. To sign up, see: MyRCN.
The public health forum steering committee works to coordinate and promote public health initiatives across the RCN. For more information, see: Meet the team. The committee is supported by the Public Health Nursing Adviser who works within the nursing team as part of the wider RCN nursing department. See: Nursing Department nurse advisers.
There is a dedicated section of the website under the nursing practice issues area related to public health nursing which has a wide range of information and resources: See: Public health.
Public Health nursing forum blogs
- To mark World TB Day, Trish Costello, a contact tracing nurse, discusses the nurse’s role in screening for the disease within institutional settings: Leadership culture in schools and its effects on onsite TB screening
- Sarah Murphy tell us about her work as a TB Nurse Specialist and examines the potential impact - both positive and negative - of public health intervention in the fight against the disease: Is public health ever bad for your health?
- Forum member Anne Thomas describes leading an initiative with the outpatient team at Dolgellau Community Hospital in North Wales: Healthy Hearts.
- Helen Kirk provides an insight into the role of the occupational health nurse: Occupational health nursing in practice.
- Sandra Grieve encourages you to attend the Northern European Conference on Travel Medicine in 2016: Join us in London.
- Forum Chair Jason Warriner discusses the importance of ensuring funding for HIV services continue: We need to keep a close eye on funding.
- Forum committee member and travel health expert Sandra Grieve discusses malaria: No room for complacency.
- Helen Kirk shares some good news: Inspiring results.
- Forum committee member Helen Kirk explores how conferences help us connect: Global networking.
- See RCN Public Health adviser Helen Donovan's blog post launching the RCN guidance supporting the delivery of immunisation education: Supporting the delivery of immunisation education.
Helen Donovan, RCN Public Health Adviser, is currently undertaking a piece of work with PHORCaST (Public Health Online Resource for Careers Skills and Training) which aims to demonstrate the varied nature of public health nursing. Ideally we would like to share with Phorcast nursing stories that have an emphasis on public health practice and showcase these on their website.