This clinical guideline was updated by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in June 2013. For details, see:
- Falls: assessemnt and prevention of falls in older people (CG161). This guideline updates and replaces 'Falls' (NICE clinical guideline 21). It is for health care and other professionals and staff who care for older people who are at risk of falling.
- Falls: summary guideline and implementation tools.
- NICE pathway - falls in older people.
This page also provides details of the publication available for the 2004 clinical guideline.
Clinical practice guideline for the assessment and prevention of falls in older people (full guideline)
This guideline covers older people living in the community, either at home, in a retirement complex, or in a residential or nursing home. An older person is defined as someone who is aged 65 or over. The guideline does not cover people who are bed bound or who are in hospital for reasons other than treatment after a fall. This publication includes the appendices (284 pages).
- Publication type - RCN Clinical guideline (full guideline)
- Publication date - November 2004
- Availability - Web only
- Clinical practice guideline for the assessment and prevention of falls in older people (PDF 3.1MB) [see how to access PDF files]