Useful resources relating to the competences
The following list of links will take you to useful resources about each of the competences. Please note that some of these links will take you to information external to the RCN website. Some resources are available in PDF format - [how to access PDF files].
Competence 1: Identifying why information is needed
- McClure P (200?) Reflection on practice, (no place): www.practicebasedlearning.org. (PDF 740KB).
Competence 2: Identifying what information is needed
- Gerrish K and Lacey A (2010) The research process in nursing, Chicester: Blackwell. Available to borrow from the RCN UK Library.
- SIGN (2008) SIGN 50: A guideline developer's handbook: Annex B: Key to evidence statements and grades of recommendations, Edinburgh: NHS Quality Improvement Scotland.
Competence 3: Carrying out a search to find information
- BNI (British Nursing Index) is available free via your RCN membership and can be accessed here.
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) is available free via your RCN membership and can be accessed here.
- The Cochrane Library
- Health on the Net Foundation: the HONcode
- Medline is available free via your RCN membership and can be accessed here.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE)
- NHS e-libraries
- RCN Learning Zone: Using your RCN e-library
- RCN Library services and archives
- RCN e-library FAST service
- RCN UK library bookmarks (to find the resources referred to in Competence 3, search the site for "ethnicity")
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN)
Competence 4: Evaluating how the information meets the identified need
- Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP)
- Underhill J and Pegler, S (2005) Dealing with information overload: application of evidence at the point of care, The Pharmaceutical Journal, 274, 5 February. pp, 148-150. (PDF 655KB).
Competence 5: Using information and knowledge incusively, legally and ethically
- Plain English Campaign (2001) How to write medical information in plain English. (New Mills): Plain English Campaign
- RCN: Diversity and equality
- Royal College of Nursing (2010) Dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia: a toolkit for nursing staff, London: RCN. (PDF 655KB).
- Royal College of Nursing (2009) Legal advice for RCN members using the internet, London: RCN. (PDF 253KB).
Competence 6: Managing information
- Anglia Ruskin University Library (2010) Harvard system of referencing guide, (Cambridge): Anglia Ruskin University.
- BiblioExpress referencing software (available free)
- Imperial College London (2010) Vancouver referencing guide, London: Imperial College London.
- RCN: RSS feeds
- Zotero referencing software (free to Firefox users)
Competence 7 - Creating new knowledge or information
- Mind Tools: Writing skills: getting your written message across clearly.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2007) How to change practice: understand, identify and overcome barriers to change (PDF 714KB), London: NICE.
- Newcastle University: Communication skills: making oral presentations.
- RCN: Getting published
- Samples Help!: Report writing
- University of Southampton: Giving presentations tutorial