Dementia - discover more
This page signposts a range of additional RCN resources which you can use to update yourself on this topic and continue to draw upon to meet your further learning and development needs.
Looking for help with your searching skills?
- An RCN Learning Zone area ‘How trustworthy is your information’ can help you in researching topics in support of your day-to-day work or studies. The learning is arranged around the RCN competences for information literacy and guides you through some of the issues and activities involved, including using information legally, inclusively and ethically and applying and communicating the results of your information search appropriately – Visit How trustworthy is your information.
- The RCN information literacy competences are intended to support the individual and the nursing team’s thinking about information required to inform activities of varying complexity. They are mapped to the Knowledge and Skills Framework – see Finding, using and managing information (PDF 1.4MB) - see how to access PDF files.
Looking for articles and books on this topic?
RCN library and heritage services
The RCN library and heritage services which can be accessed using your membership number provides:
- e-journals - access to over 1,000 full text journals via databases and an A-Z list, including a range of psychology journals
- e-books - these searchable collections include a range of full text titles on dementia and specific aspects of dementia care dementia care such as care planning, nutritional support and multi-cultural care planning
- databases you can use to search for article references and some of these also include full text articles
- library catalogue search - this will link you to details of books, reports, audio-visual material on dementia and alzheimer's held in the RCN libraries. RCN members may borrow in person or by post.
Each of these resources has a short online demo illustrating how to use them which you can access from the pages above.
There is also an RCN Learning Zone area which provides an overview of the RCN library and heritage services together with basic tips for searching and finding information – visit Using your RCN e-library.
For further advice on using the resources and related queries use the Virtual enquiry service.
Looking for courses and continuing professional development opportunities?
- RCN Events - conferences and events across the four UK countries to support both your personal and professional development. See also RCN Accredited events and conferences.
- RCN Learning Zone – Provides nurses and health care assistants with easy-to-access learning materials available at any time.
RCN Quality and Safety eBulletin
Issued fortnightly and organised around key themes such as patient safety, quality improvement tools and techniques, patient focus, and eHealth, the eBulletin will keep you up to date with clinical governance news, developments, publications and events across the four UK countries. We aim to include information about any new guidance, tools, patient experience and practice examples relating to dementia care. For further information and to register to receive copies see RCN Quality and Safety eBulletin.
You may also be interested in the dementia themed eBulletin which coincided with Dementia Awareness Week 2014. See: Dementia.
RCN Research and Innovation Team weekly eBulletin
The RCN Research Bulletin aims to keep you posted with the very latest developments in the world of R&D.
For example issues and to join the mailing list see Weekly electronic bulletin.