Links to eHealth resources
eHealth position statement
eHealth: the future of health care: Royal College of Nursing position statement (PDF 964.5 KB)
Electronic record keeping
- Abbreviations and other short forms in patient/client records (PDF 198KB)
- Consent to create, amend, access and share eHealth records (PDF 288KB)
- Making IT safer (PDF 193KB)
- Nursing content of eHealth records (PDF 153KB)
- Putting information at the heart of nursing care (PDF 195KB)
- Making Nursing Visible, Valuing our contribution to high quality patient-centred care (PDF 275KB)
- Personal Health Records and Information Management (PDF 329KB)
- Delegating record keeping and countersigning records. Guidance for nursing staff (PDF 585KB)
Using technology to complement clinical practice
- Multimedia: Using technology to complement nursing practice (PDF 1.1 MB)
- Multimedia: Using telephone advice for patients with long-term conditions (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Multimedia: Using text messaging services (PDF 723.6 KB)
- Multimedia: Developing and using websites (PDF 1.0 MB)
- Multimedia: Using telehealth to monitor patients remotely (PDF 2.9 MB)
- Legal advice for RCN members using the internet (PDF 167KB)
- Competencies: Finding, using and managing information (PDF 1.4MB)
- Standards for the design of hospital in-patient prescription charts (PDF 136KB)
- eHealth at work provides a basic overview of eHealth for beginners and incorporates digital stories from patients and nurses to illustrate benefits of eHealth.
- Telehealth explained (RCN Learning Zone resource, members only).
- Guidance for nursing staff using personal mobile phones for work purposes (PDF 257KB)
- Informing Shared Clinical Care: A Summary. Available from NHS Connecting for Health
- Enabling Patient Access to Electronic Records: Guidance for Health Professionals, is now available from the Royal College of General Practitioners
- The Informatics self assessment framework provides guidance on using information and technology in practice and support in developing competence in these areas. The framework is available for download from NHS Connecting for Health Publications and resources
- NHS CFH Deployment Guide for Clinicians is a one stop guide for clinicians involved in deploying IT systems.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council guidance on the use of social networking sites by nurses midwives and students is available from the NMC website
- RCP toolkit to avoid handover errors in the acute sector can be down loaded from the RCP website
- Technology drill down: Bolton LB, Gassert CA and Cipriano PF (2008) Smart Technology, Enduring Solutions. Journal of healthcare information management 22 (4). Available at www.aannet.org/assets/docs/fall_jhim.pdf (Accessed 07/02/2014).
- Technology drill down [dvd] American Academy of Nursing. Technology drill down is a technique of improving the process of identifying technical solutions to workflow problems. The DVD describes the process in more detail and is available to borrow from the RCN library catalogue. http://rcn.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/x/x/0/49
Continua Health Alliance
An international non-profit open coalition of telehealth and telecare industries.
ICN Telenursing Network
An international nursing network for telehealth and telecare, coordinated by the International Council of Nurses.
International Society for Telemedicine and eHealth
An international non-profit umbrella organisation for National Telemedicine and eHealth Societies and Associations.
Scottish Centre for Telehealth and Telecare
Provides practical help to NHS organisations around telehealth and telecare projects.