RCN online CPD
CPD online learning on general nutritional needs is one of a number of continuing professional development (CPD) topics developed by the RCN Learning Zone and is relevant to the whole nursing team. Information about these CPD topics is at CPD online learning.
Supporting people’s nutrition needs – getting started
This learning area can provide an introduction to, or an update to nutritional care in all settings. You can also use this area to add to and check out your understanding of information within this online resource.
RCN members will be able to access the additional links to useful resources relevant to this topic (you will need your RCN membership number) – Supporting people’s nutritional needs is in the Clinical skills section of the Learning Zone.
After completing all of the sections in 'Supporting people’s nutritional needs' you should be able to:
- describe the terms 'nutrition' and 'malnutrition'
- identify the five commonly accepted food groups and describe the components of health eating within these groups
- describe the impact of malnutrition on individuals and the health system
- explain why not meeting people's nutritional needs is a patient safety issue
- describe the rationale for and best practice advice about nutritional screening
- outline the five steps for using the 'Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool' ('MUST')
- briefly describe what the 'protected mealtimes' and 'red tray' initiatives are and how they support people's nutritional needs in care settings
- describe correct techniques for assisting people to eat.
Other related online CPD
The RCN has developed other relevant CPD online learning areas. These have also been highlighted in the relevant sections within this resource. Particularly relevant learning areas are listed below (you will need your RCN membership number to access some of these):
See also further information about the RCN Learning Zone.