The RCN holds photographic collections containing a wide variety of images taken from the world of nursing from the 1880s to the 1980s. The collection shows hospital wards, portraits, nursing personalities, postcards, hospital buildings, equipment and nurses working in the community. The majority of the collection consists of black and white prints, predominantly from the mid to late 20th century.
These images can be used by individuals for personal study or can be purchased for publication.
How to purchase an image for commercial use
- Select the image you would like to purchase from the image gallery or search the archives catalogue for more photographic records.
- Take note of the reference code(s).
- Contact the archives for a copyright declaration form and make payment.
- After payment has been made, you can then arrange your format requirements.
- You will receive your image(s) by email as jpeg attachments.
All images used in publications should state ‘Courtesy of the Royal College of Nursing Archives’. Images in the gallery are either copyrighted to the RCN or are out of copyright. Images described in the catalogue may still be in copyright and cannot be copied or published without the permission of the copyright owner.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
Please note, this is not a same day service.