How to use this site
The research and innovation section of the RCN website has been developed, and is maintained by RCN staff (RCN Standards Knowledge and Information Services) and RCN members (RCN Research Society). It is separated into sections, covering every aspect of the research endeavour, including information on research news and events, governance and policy, funding and job opportunities, research training and networks, research in progress, finding research and disseminating research and practice development. It's a one-stop-shop for all your nursing R&I needs. If you can't find what you're looking for, let us know, and we'll see what we can do.
Specific topics and features
The left hand navigation will take you further into the website, and contains information on:
Information on the staff in the Standards Knowledge and Information Services Team and the work that we do.
The work of the RCN Research Society is split into 5 main areas:
- Corporate. How the RCN Research Society fits in to the governance structures of the RCN. The history of the RCN Research Society. Details of the national steering committee. Fringe activities during RCN Congress.
- Policy. Research Society publications (ethics; informed consent; competency framework for clinical research nurses). Research Excellence Framework 2014
- Networks. The regional networks of the RCN Research Society. Clinical Research Nurses.
- Dissemination. Three awards administered by the RCN Research Society (Akinsanya; Marjorie Simpson New Researcher; conference poster and paper of the day). Annual Winifred Raphael Memorial Lecture (WRML). RCN Study of Nursing Care project and RCN Research Series.
- Conference. Annual international nursing research conference.
This section of the website lists all the latest information we have of relevance to nursing/healthcare research. Whilst the other sections of the website provide information for reference, this section is dynamic, listing all those items which are more time specific.
We produce a weekly electronic research bulletin, and pdf copies are kept here. The archive goes back to 2006, although the bulletin has been produced on a weekly basis since 1998.
Job opportunities and guidance on developing a career in research. A database of nursing engagement in the scientific boards of research funding bodies and research networks. A database of the nursing professoriate in the UK. Details of government-led training opportunities, postgraduate training, e-learning and online learning resources.
Information on research governance, research ethics and research policy documents. Consultations to which the RCN have been invited to submit a response, and previous consultations where the Research Society have submitted a response. Information about the Promoting Excellence work and the RCN Research Strategy.
Overarching research networks in the UK, Europe and international, clinical research networks, networks focusing on research methodologies and networks with a clinical focus or field of research.
Information about the database of UK Higher Education Institutions and their research interests. Access to the NIHR portfolio portfolio database.
Information about finding, disseminating and using research. Links to journals which actively encourage nursing contribution, conferences with open calls for papers, practice development initiatives and major databases such as NHS Evidence.