Many files on this page are in PDF format. See how to access PDF files.
The RCN Students Committee is a representative committee of nursing and midwifery students from across the UK who campaign on your behalf.
The committee has a voice in creating RCN policy at a national and local level, influencing the nursing education agenda and making a difference to nursing and midwifery students.
The committee is given both financial and staff support for its work; namely a student adviser and a student co-ordinator. Find out more in Meet the student team.
The committee is elected by RCN student members each year and is made up of:
- two student members of RCN Council
- two members from Scotland
- two members from Wales
- two members from Northern Ireland
- one member from each of the nine English regions.
The purpose of the RCN Students Committee
- To provide opportunities for RCN student members to meet to consider matters relevant to students undertaking pre-registration education.
- To promote activities that will assist nursing and midwifery students to keep abreast of change and to contribute to advances in nursing and to the promotion of high standards of nursing practice.
- To promote activities that will assist nursing and midwifery students to increase their professional and political awareness of, and contribute to, developments in the profession.
- To consider issues of importance to nursing and midwifery students in relation to pre-registration education and to other health care students.
- To encourage all nursing and midwifery students to be in membership of the RCN.
- To encourage all student members to be involved in the activities of RCN Students at all levels - local, regional and national.
To find out what the committee will be focusing on this year, read the action plan from their strategy planning meeting: Action Plan 2011/12 (PDF 89KB)
If you have any comments on the committee's areas of work, including the direction or angle being taken, then why not contact your region's representative and let them know. Find out more in Meet the team.
RCN Students Annual Report 2010/2011
To find out more about the work of the RCN Students Committee please see the RCN Students Annual Report 2010/2011 (PDF 258KB).
Minutes of meetings
To find out more about the work of the RCN Students committee please see the minutes of the last few meetings.
Was my RCN Students committee representative at the last meeting?
To see if your RCN Students Committee representative was at the last meeting, check the attendance list (PDF 70KB)