The RCN answers your key concerns
The RCN employs experts on all areas relevant to health care, your career and professional development and members can access invaluable services such as specialist advice and counselling, should they ever need it. By working for our members on a wide range of issues, we understand their key concerns.
Equipped with this insight and with our in-house expertise, the RCN has developed an online tool to help address five key concerns raised by members.
We have also produced a series of online films where our team of experts advise on issues affecting members including redundancy, transfer of undertakings, pensions, the cost of fuel and changes to your terms and conditions, such as downbanding.
These films allow you to learn about your rights, improve your employability and access RCN support such as the counselling service.
The NHS is going through one of its biggest challenges in history. How might these changes affect you?
- Legal aid is likely to be cut further which means that nurses and health care assistants with problems at work have to pay privately for lawyers’ fees, unless they have RCN membership. Could you afford to pay up to £150 an hour for a lawyer if you were discriminated against at work, or referred to the NMC?
- Cost savings in the NHS mean that some employers will be looking to reorganise, change employee's terms and conditions, downband posts, declare redundancies or limit contractual benefits. The RCN will provide expert legal advice on the employment law aspects of any changes you experience at work, challenging them in the courts and tribunals, should this happen to you.
- In the event of staff shortages, there may be an increased risk of a patient complaining about their care, the chance of a lifting and handling injury, and an increase in stress may be more likely. The RCN will support you with expert representation and legal advice.
- Standards of care may be a concern for you as employers look to make cutbacks – we can support you if you whistleblow, ensuring the full protection of the law.
Find out more about RCN membership
- RCN membership - benefits for nurses and midwives
- RCN membership - benefits for health care assistants and assistant practitioners
- Join the RCN
The RCN's Frontline First campaign empowers nursing staff in the NHS to speak out against the cuts that impact on patient care, expose where they see waste and highlight innovations and new ideas. Find out more about Frontline First.