Here you will find brief details of the bursaries offered by the RCN to help fund courses, study tours, projects, research and conference attendance. The schemes are listed alphabetically. There are seven schemes in this list.
We regret we are unable to deal with individual enquiries about those schemes where a closing date has passed. However, we will advertise again when these re-open both on this website and in RCN Bulletin or Nursing Standard.
For RCN members in Wales, for a project or course of study to promote the advancement of the art and science of nursing:
- closing date: annually 31 March
- how to apply: contact RCN Welsh Board, Ty Maeth, King George V Drive, Cardiff CF4 4XZ. Telephone 0345 772 6100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barbers company clinical nursing scholarship
To enable nurses in clinical nursing to undertake further education, research or a clinical project. The scholarship of up to £7,500 is offered for the fees or subsistence of a nurse normally undertaking a taught masters' programme relevant to nursing or research, in an academic department in the UK or at an approved academic department of nursing overseas.
There is no application form. Applicants should submit a 500 word outline on the course / research / project and its intended application together with their CV to:
The Barbers' Company Scholarship
RCN Research Institute
School of Health and Social Studies
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL.
- the closing date for receipt of applications is 28 February every year
- for more information contact PA to the Director RCN RI, telephone: +44 (0)24 761 50618, email: email@example.com.
Hettie C Hopkins care of the elderly nursing scholarship
Open to nurses in Wales who hold statutory qualifications in nursing and wish to pursue a project associated with the care of the elderly.
- Closing date: 31 March every year.
- How to apply: Contact RCN Welsh Board, Ty Maeth, King George V Drive East, Cardiff CF4 4XZ. Telephone: 029 2075 1373 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jointly funded by the Department of Health and NHS Employers and open to nurses, midwives and health visitors in England, the Mary Seacole Leadership Awards are worth up to £12,500 and the Mary Seacole Development Awards are worth up to £6,250 each. Full details of each award will be given on the application forms. In addition, workshops are held in March for potential applicants.
- Closing date: 31 May 2013
- How to apply: application forms can be found at www.nhsemployers.org/maryseacole.
RCN/Novartis Educational Award 2012
The RCN Ophthalmic forum is pleased to announce the RCN / Novartis Educational Award 2012: Improving care for ophthalmic patients. This award is for £2000 and applicants will need to meet the criteria (see below) to be eligible to enter the competition.
In order to qualify for this award, applicants must be:
- a registered nurse
- a member of the RCN Ophthalmic Nursing Forum
- the holder of a valid UK passport
- able to secure holiday / study leave to travel for the conference
- prepared to present their initiative at the RCN Ophthalmic Nursing Forum conference in 2013
- prepared to have their submission printed in the forum's newsletter.
The award is intended to support attendance at a United Kingdom or international ophthalmic conference. Award winners will then be asked to feed back how their practice has been impacted by attendance at the conference and how they have contributed to improving care for Opthalmic patients. Feedback will be given to the ophthalmic community either by speaking or presenting a poster at the 2013 ophthalmic nursing conference. For further information please download the terms and conditions (Word 28 KB).
- Closing date: 28 September 2012.
- The winner will be notified in November 2012.
- Interested applicants should contact the Opthalmic Forum Committee Chair, Mary Shaw at email@example.com for further details.
The RCN Ophthalmic Nursing Awards have been kindly sponsored with an unrestricted educational grant by Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK Ltd.
RCN Research Society Marjorie Simpson new researchers award
An annual award for new or inexperienced researchers to attend the RCN Annual International Nursing Research Conference. Applicants should be currently undertaking a postgraduate course of study leading to a higher degree (MSc, MPhil, PhD) and be a member of the RCN Research Society.
- Closing date: annually in November.
- Further details available in RCN Research Society Awards.
RCN Research Society Akinsanya Award for innovation in doctoral studies in nursing
The award is granted to the most innovative thesis in the nursing disciplines. Excellence in scholarship, innovation and the potential to influence health care policy or practice will be the main criteria for deciding the award. The successful applicant will be supported in the dissemination of their work through a variety of media and will be awarded a free place at the RCN Annual International Nursing Research Conference. They will also receive a cash prize of £250.
- Closing date: annually in October.
- Further details including eligibility is available in RCN Research Society Awards.