RCN's prevention work is underpinned by the principle that we should empower individuals with the information they need to understand the impact of alcohol misuse and make healthier lifestyle choices.
However, we also believe that more can be done to change the wider environment so that the healthy choice is the easy choice. Sometimes this requires regulation from the government. We believe the government must:
- Reduce the availability of cheap alcohol with a meaningful minimum per unit price
- Legislate to prevent the alcohol industry from undertaking promotional activities which encourage excessive consumption or target children
- Legislate for the mandatory labelling of all alcoholic drinks with unit and health information in a consistent format
- Ensure public information and education about alcohol is based on independent scientific recommendations and provided by bodies wholly independent of the alcohol industry
- Introduce a reduced drink drive limit of 50mg per 100 millilitres of blood alcohol content