This film from Understanding Patient Data explains the importance and benefits of sharing information for research and planning purposes.
Benefits of sharing data
- preventing serious illness
- developing new treatments
- learning more about diseases.
- planning NHS health services
- making services safer
- improving individual care.
Other films are available that focus on cancer, dementia, diabetes and heart attacks. Further case studies are available from their website.
We have worked with NHS England to produce a pocket guide and prompt card as resources to help you with questions from patients and citizens.
- what the national data opt-out and new data protections regulations are
- when the data opt-out applies
- how data is kept secure
- who might use health and care data.
Pocket guide for nursing, midwifery and care staff
Prompt card for nursing, midwifery and care staff
Further guidance, factsheets and policy documentation can be found on the NHS Digital website
Further information and support
For further information and support about the national data opt-out, see: National data opt-out.
You can also call: 0300 303 5678 with specific enquiries or email: email@example.com (please include ‘National data opt out’ in the subject line).
General Data Protection Regulations
- NHS Digital. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) guidance
- Information Commissioner's Office. Guide to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
You can also contact the Information Governance Manager or Data Protection Officer at your organisation.