The nutrition and dietetic department at Northumbria Healthcare hip fracture quality improvement programme introduced the use of nutrition assistants to improve mortality and patient experience.
Prosper project, Essex County Council
This case study highlights creative solutions used in care homes to help those residents at risk of dehydration.
Ward End Service Project
The guide covers all aspects of food service to ensure good quality, safe and hot food is provided to patients and provides recommendations on good interdisciplinary working.
Last Nine Yards HCA conference challenge
The aim of the Last Nine Yards challenge was to embed nutrition and hydration as a critical part of the patient’s recovery plan.
NHS England tackles the complex problem of Nutrition and Hydration
"What are the key issues, barriers and challenges we face in reducing malnutrition and dehydration across our health economy?”
Enhancing nutritional care case studies
This booklet describes the experiences of the seven organisations that participated in the RCN’s Nutrition Now campaign.
High impact actions: nutrition case studies
Keeping nourished, getting better is one of the eight High Impact Actions unveiled by the Chief Nursing Officer in 2009. These case studies include examples of how to make a real difference to nutritional care.
- Salford Community Health (PDF 1.2MB)
- Lancashire Teaching Hospital (PDF 1.44 MB)
- NHS County Durham and Darlington Primary Care Trust (1023.57 KB)
- Hereford Hospitals NHS Trust (1.52 MB)
Nutritional care in hospitals
This Scottish resource aims to support all staff involved in nutritional care in hospitals, ensuring that they have the knowledge, skills and capabilities to optimise nutritional care as part of the patient experience.
FoNS Centre for Nursing Innovation projects
The FoNS Centre for Nursing Innovation works with nurses and healthcare teams to develop and share innovative ways of improving practice.
- What’s Food Got to do With It? The Dewsbury Link Nurse Project (2005) - This project aimed to put the responsibility for ensuring that patients eat and drink firmly back with the qualified nurse.
- Working in partnership with patients and families on a dementia assessment unit (2011) - This report describes a project in a Health and Social Care Trust in Northern Ireland.
- Improving the health choices for older people: implementing patient-focused mealtime practice (2005) - This dissemination series contains reports about projects which have aimed to reflect improvements in care.
- Embedding excellent nutritional care practices in a large acute hospital ward (2012) - This project used a three stage process to establish changes in practice.