This section highlights some of the ways people are working to improve system safety.
We need better system design for reliable care:
- Systems are combinations of things that work together to achieve a goal
- The system includes the physical workspace. This space contains equipment, devices, medication and information systems used etc.
- The system includes people. Individuals have values, beliefs, habits and assumptions.
- The system also includes groups. Groups deliver care. They share attitudes, form relationships and respond to situations.
- Changes to the design of physical things can make a big difference to how well people work.
- System performance can depend on how well teams work together. Both the workplace culture and the physical workplace influence how people act.