Looking after yourself
- Janki Foundation: www.jankifoundation.org
- Sacred Space Foundation: www.sacredspace.org.uk
- Health care chaplaincy
- Local chaplaincy department
- College of Healthcare Chaplains: www.healthcarechaplains.org
- UK Board of Health Care Chaplaincy: www.ukbhc.org.uk
- Scottish Association of Chaplains in Healthcare: www.sach.org.uk
- Association of Hospice and Palliative Care Chaplains: www.ahpcc.org.uk
- Multi Faith Group for Health Care Chaplaincy: www.mfghc.com
Faith and belief
- Nurses Christian Fellowship International: www.ncfi.org
- Health Care Christian Fellowship International: www.hcfi.givengain.org
- Hospital Christian Fellowship: www.hcfusa.com
- Christian Medical Fellowship: www.cmf.org.uk
- The British Humanist Association: www.humanism.org.uk
- Personal faith and religious communities
- Personal religious/spiritual leader
- Royal College of Nursing Direct: contact 0345 772 6100
- Royal College of Nursing (2011a) The RCN spirituality survey 2010: a report by the RCN on members’ views on spirituality and spiritual care in nursing practice, London: RCN
- Royal College of Nursing (2011b) Spirituality in nursing care: a pocket guide, London: RCN
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (2008) The code: standards of conduct performance and ethics for nurses and midwives, London: NMC
- The codes of professional practice of other health care professionals.
Employer related codes of practice.
Organisations and societies
- British Association for the Study of Spirituality: www.basspirituality.org.uk
- Research Institute for Spirituality and Health: www.rish.ch
- World Health Organisation: www.who.int
- The Association for Children’s Spirituality: www.childrenspirituality.org
- Centre for Spirituality, Health & Disability: www.abdn.ac.uk/cshad
- Foundation for Workplace Spirituality: www.workplacespirituality.org.uk/
- Autism Spectrum People and Religion Research Group: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/share/research/religion/researchgroups/asparrg/asparrg-autism-spectrum-people-and-religion-research-group.html
- European Society for the Study of Theology of Disability: www.esstd.org/
- Spirituality and Psychiatry Special Interest Group: www.rcpsych.ac.uk
- National Secular Society: www.secularism.org.uk
Government health documents
- Department of Health (2009) Religion or belief: a practical guide for the NHS, London: DH.
- NHS Education for Scotland (2009) Spiritual care matters: an introductory resource for all NHS Scotland staff, Edinburgh: NHSES.
- Welsh Assembly Government (2010) Standards for spiritual care services in the NHS in Wales 2010, Cardiff: WAG.
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence (2009) Supportive and palliative care. Improving supportive and palliative care for adults with cancer, London: NICE.
Marie Curie Cancer Care (2003) Spiritual and religious care competencies for specialist palliative care, London: MCCC.
- Marie Curie Palliative Care Institute (2010) Liverpool care pathway for the dying patient: pocket guide, Liverpool: MCPCI.
Some useful texts/papers
- Cockell, N., McSherry, W. (2012) Spiritual care in nursing: a review of the empirical literature between 2006 and 2011, Journal of Nursing Management, 20 (8), pp.958–969
McSherry W and Ross L (editors) (2010) Spiritual assessment in healthcare practice, Keswick: M&K Publishing.
- Narayanasamy A (2001) Spiritual care: a practical guide for nurses and health care practitioners, London: Quay Books.
- Ross L (2006) Spiritual care within nursing: an overview of the research to date, Journal of Clinical Nursing, 15 (7), pp.852–862.
- Swinton J (2001) Spirituality and mental health care: rediscovering a ‘forgotten dimension’, London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Timmins, F., McSherry, W. (2012) Editorial - Spirituality: the Holy Grail of contemporary nursing practice Journal of Nursing Management, 20 (8), pp.951–957
Some useful journals
- Journal for the Study of Spirituality
- Journal of Religion, Disability and Health
- Journal of Spirituality in Mental Health
- Scottish Journal of Healthcare Chaplaincy
- Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy
- International Journal of Children’s Spirituality