We need better system design for reliable care.
- Systems are combinations of things that work together to achieve a goal.
- The system includes the physical workspace. This space contains equipment, devices, medication and information systems used etc.
- The system includes people. Individuals have values, beliefs, habits and assumptions.
- The system also includes groups. Groups deliver care. They share attitudes, form relationships and respond to situations.
- Changes to the design of physical things can make a big difference to how well people work.
- System performance can depend on how well teams work together. Both the workplace culture and the physical workplace influence how people act.
This section highlights some of the ways people are working to improve system safety.