- Familiarise yourself with the case for a healthy workplace. This gives an evidence base for doing more.
- Read the Healthy Workplace Toolkit.
- Raise awareness of the Healthy Workplace Toolkit by sharing the guidance with staff.
- Take the Healthy Workplace Toolkit to your employer e.g. at partnership forums, the Joint Negotiating and Consultation Committee, Health and Safety
- Work in partnership with your employer to implement changes using our top tips for employers.
- If your employer is resistant to take the work forward, perform an organisational health check using the Healthy Workplace Toolkit.
- Identify areas within the domain where working practices or policies can be improved.
- Develop an action plan of improvements that must be made.
- Negotiate improvements with your employer using the RCN's Healthy Workplace resources as evidence e.g. spinning plates resource on flexible working.
- If your employer continues to be resistant or you have major concerns about working practices, speak to your RCN senior officer for ideas on progressing the work.
- Familiarise yourself with the case for a healthy workplace to understand the link between improving health and wellbeing and patient care.
- Read the RCN’s Healthy Workplace Toolkit.
- Pick a Healthy Workplace Toolkit domain.
- Read the pledges of other organisations.
- Use the indicators to carry out a health check of your organisation.
- Identify areas where working practices or policies can be improved (use data from staff surveys, sickness absence, grievance or incident data to help decide priorities).
- Pledge to improve your practices or policies.
- Develop an action plan (if you have an RCN workplace representative(s), work in partnership with them).
- Celebrate your success.
- Repeat the cycle using a different Healthy Workplace Toolkit domain.
- Read Healthy Workplace, Healthy You booklet to understand more about the campaign why the RCN believes a healthy workplace is important.
- Read Working towards a healthy you and the techniques to help you prevent and manage physical and emotional stress.
- If you want to find out more download the Healthy Workplace Toolkit and carry out a health check of your organisation.
- If you identify areas for improvement, liaise with your local rep to bring about change in conjunction with your employer.
- Celebrate your success.
Directors of Nursing
- Read specific evidence for Directors of Nursing on the link between improving health and wellbeing and patient care.
- Engage with the RCN, your reps and staff to bring about change using the Healthy Workplace Toolkit
- Celebrate your success