The RCN Northern region responded to a consultation affecting the way services will be delivered in Cumbria. We encouraged members to do the same.
The Cumbria CCG's Governing Body made a decision at its meeting on 8 March. You can read a summary or the full version here.
Key headline points include:
• Maternity: a consultant-led unit will be retained at Whitehaven while the trust develops a midwifery-led unit and then reviews the situation in a year.
• Children’s services: the trust will implement the preferred option from the consultation: the development of a short stay 8.00 am until 8.00 pm service at Whitehaven with some overnight beds for low risk children.
• Community hospitals: the trust will implement the phased closure of beds at Maryport, Alston and Wigton.
• Accident and emergency: 24/7 services will be available at both hospitals. There will be an ITU at both hospitals but the most seriously unwell patients will be transferred to Carlisle.
• Hyper-acute stroke services: all stroke services will be at Carlisle with rehabilitation at Whitehaven.
• Emergency surgery, trauma and orthopaedics: the current changes will be made permanent, meaning services will be centralised at Carlisle.
North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust drop-in surgeries
If you work at North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, you are invited to drop in to one of several surgeries we’re holding at both hospital sites from 2 to 5 May.
Please attend one of these surgeries and let us know how you are feeling as it is important that you have a chance to express your concerns and that we know your views and anxieties. This is an opportunity to share information with us so we can work together to try and address some of these issues. You can attend as an individual or in groups if you have the same issues as others. We can talk on the spot when you drop by or we can arrange a time to speak at the end of the drop-in sessions.
- 2/5/2017 West Cumberland Hospital A&E Seminar Room 11.30am to 1.00pm - with Senior RCN Officer Greg Canning
- 2/5/2017 Cumberland Infirmary Boardroom 2.00pm to 5.00pm - with RCN Officer Heather Whitton
- 3/5/2017 West Cumberland Hospital A&E Seminar Room 12.00 to 2.00pm and 3.00pm to 5.00pm - with RCN Officer Oisin Gourley
- 3/5/2017 Cumberland Infirmary – MDT Room (Outpatients clinic) 4.00pm to 5pm - with RCN Officer Barry Hutchinson
- 4/5/2017 West Cumberland Hospital A&E Seminar Room 12.00pm to 2.00pm and 3.00pm to 5.00pm - with RCN Officer Lin Clarkson
- 4/5/2017 Cumberland Infirmary Boardroom 1.30pm to 3.00pm - with Regional Director Glenn Turp
- 5/5/2017 West Cumberland Hospital A&E Seminar Room 9.00am to 10.30am, 12.00pm to 2.00pm, 3.00pm to 5.00pm - with Regional Director Glenn Turp.
- 5/5/2017 Cumberland Infirmary Boardroom 1.00pm - 2.00pm and 3.00pm - 5.00pm - with RCN Officer Janet Maclean.