A message from Regional Director Patricia Marquis:
"At the end of June I was delighted to be able to take part in one of our first Summer of Action events in Southampton. Across the region we held similar events and received the same positive response. Check out our programme of events to see when we'll be at a workplace near you.
"It was wonderful to be able to speak with members and the public about why we were outside the hospital waving banners. The reason is very simple: for too long our nurses have been doing more for less. Our nurses have seen what amounts to a 14% pay cut as their pay has failed to keep up with inflation over the past 6 years.
"It’s not right. It’s not fair.
"Day and night nurses look after patients. Many working over the end of their shift to provide excellent care. We’ve been asking nurses why they think the government should scrap the cap and the answers are heart-breaking: “It makes us feel worthless”, “under paid + under valued = under staffed”, “I haven’t had a payrise for three years so saving for a mortgage is impossible”.
"Real people, real concerns.
"This is why, throughout July and August we will be in hospitals across the region speaking to as many members as possible. We need your stories, we need your support. We need each and every member to stand up for the nursing family as we continue to demand that the Government scraps the 1% pay cap."
Training for pay champions
If you are a Pay Champion you can join one of our training sessions where we will cover:
- Background to #scrapthecap campaign
- Guidance on pay champion role
- How we can support you
- What you have done so far
- Who's who on the team
- Q & A session
Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Buckinghamshire pay champions are invited to the Newbury regional office on one of the following dates, or you can dial in:
- 20 July 2017 – 11-12.30pm Dial 02920 893 002 code: 572450
- 20 July 2017 – 2-3.30pm Dial 02920 893 002 code: 996350
- 21 July 2017 – 2-3.30pm Dial 02920 893 002 code: 586899 **Phone call only, please don't come to the office**
Kent, Surrey and Sussex pay champions are invited to the Croydon regional office on one of the following dates or you can dial in:
- 19 July 2017 – 10-11.30am Dial 02920 893 002 code: 2480249
"Out of hours" dates for all:
- Thursday 20th July 6-7.30pm Dial 02920 893 002 code: 8625672
- Saturday 22nd July 11.30am-1pm Dial 02920 893 002 code: 236572
Contact us on: email@example.com