Supporting documentation for Indefinite leave to Remain applications  

If you need to apply for a Tier 2 visa, you will be required to provide certain documents to the Home Office to support your application.

If you're experiencing difficulties providing any of the documentation, The RCN's Immigration Advice Service can help.

Documentation requirements

When submitting an application to the Home Office it is important to provide relevant supporting documentation to prove that you satisfy the requirements.

All supporting documentation must be:

  • originals and not photocopies
  • written in English or Welsh, or accompanied by an official translation
  • genuine, verifiable and corroborate information stated on your application form.


You will need to provide:

  • Your current passport / travel document
  • Your current Biometric Residence Permit
  • Two passport photographs.

Finances and employment

You must provide:

  • Your most recent original Bank/Building Society statement* dated within one calendar month before the date of application, plus:
  • An original Bank/Building Society statements* for the last 3-6 months showing your salary
  • Payslips for last 3-6 months and P60s
  • Your contract of employment
  • A letter from your current employer confirming that you are still needed to work in your role, you are paid at the correct salary and that you have taken paid annual leave.

*If online statements are used, they must include account name, number, date of issue and have the official stamp on each page. The bank must also provide a letter confirming the documents are genuine.

Five years continuous residence

You will need to provide:

  • tenancy agreements
  • mortgage statements
  • Council Tax bills/statements
  • utility bills.

Police registration

If you have been issued with a Police Registration Certificate and need to register with the police, you must provide this as part of your application

Life in the UK

You should provide your life in the UK pass notification letter.

English language

You must provide a secure English language Test certificate which is at least level B1, for example:

  • Integrated Skills in English certificate
  • Graded Examinations in Spoken English certificate
  • IELTS Life Skills certificate
  • IELTS certificate
  • Degree certificate from a UK university
  • Degree certificate from an English-speaking majority country or
  • Degree certificate which is certified by NARIC to be the equal to a UK degree.

Change in circumstances

If you have had a change in circumstances please provide your:

  • Statutory Declaration/ Deed Poll certificate
  • Marriage/ Civil partnership/ divorce certificate
  • Birth certificates.

RCN support

Our Immigration Advice Service is here to support and assist members. We can provide advice about particular difficulties you are experiencing when providing key documentation to show you meet the application requirements. If you would like assistance please call us with your membership number and details of your current immigration status.