arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon

Are you looking for work or on low income?

If you're looking for work, or on a low income you maybe be able to claim benefits, depending on your circumstances.

Most benefits will be paid only from the date you apply, so it’s best to apply as soon as you know which ones to claim.

The benefits you can claim will depend on:

  • your household circumstances
  • income level
  • whether you paid regular National Insurance contributions through work in the past two tax years

The type of benefit you can apply for will also depend on whether you live in an area where Universal Credit has been fully introduced.

Most benefits will be paid only from the date you apply, so it’s best to apply as soon as you know which ones to claim.

Which benefits can you claim?

You can use a benefit calculator to help work out which benefits you’re likely to qualify for and how much will be paid.

The Better Off Calculator by Policy in Practice is easy to use. It will use your postcode to check if you are affected by Universal Credit and will tell you in your calculation results.

If you have difficulty understanding the results you can speak to an Adviser.

Once you know which benefits you might qualify for then you can normally find the claim forms online.

Examples of benefits for jobseekers and low income households

Here are some examples of benefits for jobseekers and low income households:

Universal Credit - for certain households, in Full Service Areas, with low income or no other income.

Housing Benefit – for households paying rent who are not eligible to apply for Universal Credit and have low income.

Contribution based Jobseeker’s Allowance – The non means-tested type of Jobseeker’s Allowance for those who have paid regular National Insurance.

Council Tax Reduction - also called Council Tax Support, for low income households. Check your council website.

Work and Child Tax Credits – new claims can only be made in areas which are not Universal Credit Full Service.

Pension Credit – for some adults who have reach State Pension age and have low income.

Need further advice?

If you would like further advice on this subject, contact the lamplight team.

If you have an appointment booked with us, preparing will help you get the best from it.

Before contacting the service, we encourage you to view the advice guides located above as these may answer your query without the need to wait for an appointment.

How to access the service

To speak with someone about the Lamplight Support Service call:

  • RCN members can call RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100;
  • Individuals not in RCN membership can call 0345 772 6200.

Lines are open 8:30am - 8:30pm, 7 days a week.

Once you've booked an appointment, please remember to complete our pre-appointment questionnaire

How to cancel an appointment

Please cancel your appointment if you can’t make it so someone else can have it. You can cancel by:

  • Replying “CANCEL” to the text message that you receive confirming the time of your appointment.
  • Emailing with your name and time of appointment.

0345 772 6100  

8:30am - 8:30pm, 7 days a week