arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon

Carer's Allowance

If you help to provide care for someone for 35 hours per week or more then it is possible you may be entitled to claim Carer’s Allowance to help you in meeting your everyday costs. This guide for RCN members includes whether you may qualify and how you make a claim.


To make an application you must:

  • be aged 16 or over
  • provide care to one individual for 35 hours a week or more
  • live England, Scotland or Wales (rules are different for Northern Ireland) where you have been present for 2 of the last 3 years
  • earn no more than £110 per week following deductions
  • not be in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours per week.

The person you care for must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • middle of highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above normal maximum rate with Industrial Injuries benefit or basic rate with War Disablement Pension.

We strongly recommend that you contact the Department of Work and Pensions if you or the person you care for has any change in circumstances as these could affect your benefit claims.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Making a claim

You can apply:

If you live in Northern Ireland please visit

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Amount you can receive

If your application is successful you will be paid £62.10 per week. If you currently earn above tax threshold then you will pay tax on this amount. The money will be paid directly into a bank account either weekly in advance or every 4 or 13 weeks.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Effect on other benefits

Carer’s allowance was included in the Benefit cap prior to 7 November 2016, this is no longer the case. Please see Turn 2 Us for more information.

If you receive other benefits, although they may be reduced, the total amount you receive should remain the same.

If the person you care for is in receipt of any of the following, they will also stop:

  • severe disability premium (included with other benefits and pension credit)
  • reduced council tax (we recommend that they contact their local authority for further advice).
Back to contents arrow_up-blue
Call the RCN on: 03457726100

Page last updated - 25/01/2018