arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon


This guide covers the grievance process - from informal methods of resolution to a grievance hearing.

Raising an issue at work

If you have a problem or complaint about work, it may be difficult to know what steps to take. 

For some types of problem - such as changes to working practices or relationship problems with your manager - you'll have a greater chance of resolving it by dealing with it quickly and informally.

Sometimes the gravity of the situation will mean that a formal grievance is the right approach – and we talk more about the process below - but you should always try and resolve the issue informally first.

Try to resolve your problem by speaking to the person concerned. If you can’t speak to the person directly, then speak to your manager in confidence or call us for advice on 0345 772 6100.

Please also consider whether your issue is better dealt with under another procedure - such as incident reporting/raising concerns (about safety issues) or making a bullying complaint.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Grievance process

(Please note: the below relates to England, Wales and Scotland only. If you work in Northern Ireland, please see the nidirect advice on this topic)

The grievance procedure enables you to raise concerns with management about workplace problems involving your working conditions or relationships with colleagues.

Your employer should have a grievance policy/procedure, so read this to familiarise yourself with the process. To ensure a fair process is followed, it should have at least three key stages:

  1. the option to resolve the issue informally
  2. the first formal stage, and
  3. the opportunity to appeal the decision (please note: there are struct deadlines to lodge workplace appeals and subsequent employment tribunal claims, so please contact us for advice on 0345 772 6100 as soon as possible if you wish to challenge your employer's decision.

In addition to your employer's policy, the ACAS Code of Practice sets out standards of fairness and reasonable behaviour that employers and employees are expected to follow in most situations when dealing with a dispute in the workplace.

But, remember: it is always advisable to try to resolve disputes informally before lodging a formal grievance. 


Step one: try to resolve matters informally


Your employer’s policy should outline the informal methods of dispute resolution available to you. One informal method of resolving a problem is mediation, where an impartial third party helps those in dispute to try to reach an agreement. Mediation has the advantage of enabling both parties to express how they feel about the issue and explore mutually agreed terms to make up the agreement.


Step two: taking your complaint further


If the issue cannot be resolved informally, consider the following:

  • what you want to achieve by taking out a formal grievance
  • is a formal route likely to achieve your desired outcome/result
  • will the grievance process and decision affect your workplace relationships
  • would a collective grievance be a more suitable option (if the issue affects more than two employees)
  • would the content of the grievance and the way the employer responds be useful tribunal evidence, for example in discrimination or unfair dismissal claims.

Contact us as soon as possible on 0345 772 6100 so that we can help you.


Step three: inform your employer


You will need to follow your local policy/procedures and inform your employer of the nature of your grievance, in writing. You should include:

  • the grievance grounds and details
  • the supporting information/evidence
  • the details of any informal action taken
  • suggested resolutions and your desired outcome.


Step four: the hearing


Once your grievance has been lodged, your employer should carry out investigations to establish the facts of the case and arrange a formal meeting as soon as possible. This is known as a grievance hearing.

You are entitled to make a reasonable request to be accompanied at this hearing and can take a work colleague or union representative. Please contact us on 0345 772 6100 to discuss local support.

You should agree the time and place and make every effort to attend the hearing. You should be given the opportunity to explain your views and make suggestions for how things could be resolved. The employer may need time to consider your evidence, take advice from other parties or investigate further. If this is the case, the employer should agree timescales and arrange a follow up meeting.


Step five: action


Following the investigation and hearing your employer should communicate their decision to you - in writing - as soon as possible.


Step six: appeal


If you decide to appeal the decision, please check your local policy. This should clarify the appeal process and the time limits within which you need to appeal. You would usually be expected to outline the reasons for appeal, in writing, and submit this to your employer within a specified time frame.

The appeal should be heard without 'unreasonable' delay and, where possible, by a manager who was not involved in the original grievance hearing.

If this is not possible, the manager hearing the appeal needs to remain objective and impartial. Following the appeal hearing you should receive the decision in writing and be advised whether the appeal hearing was the final stage of the grievance.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

ACAS early conciliation service

An employment tribunal claim may be an option if you're unhappy with your employer's decision. Before lodging a tribunal claim, you must take advice from us and you'll also need to notify ACAS, who will offer conciliation. Early conciliation can help resolve various workplace disputes including:

  • unfair dismissal claims
  • workplace discrimination
  • redundancy payments or disputes around selection procedures
  • deductions from wages or unpaid notice/holiday pay
  • rights to time off or flexible working
  • equal pay.

If conciliation is unsuccessful within the set period, the claimant can proceed to lodge a tribunal claim.  

Find out more about early conciliation here.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Collective grievance

'Collective' grievances occur when a number of staff are affected by the same problem. 

If two or more employees raise the same grievance then the provisions of the ACAS code do not apply. Your local policy should determine the process for the collective dispute. If you are considering a collective dispute alongside your colleagues please contact us for further advice on 0345 772 6100.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Witnesses at grievance hearings

You may be called as a witness at a grievance hearing and/or be asked to produce a written statement outlining your involvement in the matter in question. If you've been asked to attend as a witness, or provide a written statement, please see our information for witnesses and call us if you have concerns.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Raising a grievance during the disciplinary process

If you raise a grievance during a disciplinary process, the procedure can be temporarily suspended in order to deal with your grievance. If the grievance and disciplinary case are related it may be appropriate to deal with both issues at the same time.

You should not be victimised for lodging a grievance. If your grievance does not resolve your concerns, you may need to decide whether to take further action. Please call us to discuss your concerns on 0345 772 6100.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Advice for managers who have had a grievance taken out against them

If a grievance has been lodged against you as a manager, you should firstly seek advice and support from your HR department, after reading our advice about investigations

When your employer discusses the allegations with you, be ready and able to justify any managerial decisions or actions you took in line with your employer's policies. 

At this initial stage you are not being disciplined. However, if disciplinary action is taken against you at a later stage, the RCN will represent you in most cases.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue
Man with head in hands


Get support with the emotional impact of problems at work through our dedicated counselling service for members.

Call the RCN on: 03457726100

Page last updated - 29/11/2018