arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon

Tier 2 applications: supporting documentation

This is a guide for RCN members on the supporting documentation requirements for Tier 2 applications.

Documentation requirements

When submitting an application to the Home Office it is important to provide relevant supporting documentation to prove that you satisfy the requirements.

All supporting documentation must be:

  • originals and not photocopies
  • in English or Welsh, or accompanied by an official translation
  • genuine, verifiable & must corroborate information on your application form.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue


You will need to submit:

  • your current passport/ travel document
  • your current Biometric Residence Permit
  • 2 passport photographs.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Finances and employment

As part of your application you should provide:

  • an original bank/building society statements* for the last three months which show your transactions during the last 90 days prior to submitting an application, and show a balance of at least £945 or above** during the last 3 months and within 31 days of date of application    
  • your P60s
  • your contract of employment

*If online statements are used, they must include account name, number, date of issue and have the official stamp on each page. The bank must also provide a letter confirming the documents are genuine.

**if an employer is an A-rated employer you do not need to evidence £945 but the Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) must confirm the sponsor will maintain and accommodate you and you will not claim benefits.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Police registration

If you have been issued with a Police Registration Certificate and need to register with the police, you must provide this as part of your application

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Evidence of your new Tier 2 Sponsorship (if applying for a change of employer)

You must provide your new COS reference number. This confirms the date the COS was assigned, your personal information/contact details, your Sponsors full address and your employment start date, job title & pay - details of any Resident Labour Market test carried out by sponsor should be included; or exemptions if on the Shortage Occupation List.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Evidence of your new Tier 2 Sponsorship (if changing your employer)

If changing your employer, you must provide a new Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) reference number which should confirm:

  • the date the COS was assigned to you
  • your personal information/ contact details
  • your sponsor's full address
  • your employment start date, job title and pay.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue

English language

You will need to submit your secure English language Test certificate at least level B1, for example:

  • Integrated Skills in English certificate
  • Graded Examinations in Spoken English certificate
  • IELTS Life Skills certificate
  • IELTS certificate
  • Degree certificate from a UK university
  • Degree certificate from an English-speaking majority country
  • Degree certificate which is certified by NARIC to be the equal to a UK degree.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Change of circumstances

If your circumstances have changed, you must provide evidence of this. For example:

  • statutory Declaration/ Deed Poll certificate
  • Marriage/ Civil partnership/ divorce certificate
  • Birth certificates.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue

RCN support

Our Immigration Advice Service is here to support and assist RCN members. If you would like assistance or further information, please call us. You will need to provide us with your membership number and details of your current immigration status.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue
Call the RCN on: 03457726100

Page last updated - 25/01/2018