Nominations now open
Nominations are now open for the following seats on the RCN Council: Eastern, East Midlands, London, Northern, Northern Ireland, North West, Scotland, South East, South West, Wales, West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber, and Nursing Support Worker.
Members are invited to put themselves forward by completing this nomination form by 4.30pm on Friday 19 July 2019.
To find out more and to confirm your eligibility for nomination, please read the election procedure. Candidates must declare that they meet the criteria in the RCN's Regulation on Fit and Proper Persons which includes a commitment to uphold the Nolan Seven Principles of Public Life.
Following the close of nominations, candidates will be invited to take part in an election hustings event in their country or region. Please note the events below refer to those countries and regions where a date has been confirmed.
Tuesday 3 September: East Midlands, Northern Ireland and South East
Wednesday 4 September: Eastern and Northern
Thursday 5 September: Scotland, South West, West Midlands and Yorkshire & the Humber
Tuesday 10 September: North West
Time commitments of the role
As a member of RCN Council the following time commitment is required in order to undertake the role effectively:
- Attendance at between four to six face to face meetings a year. These are generally in London and may require an overnight stay. Additional teleconferences may also be called.
- Between four to five days’ attendance at RCN Congress and the AGM – usually in the spring or early summer of each year.
- Attendance at three to four meetings of your country or regional board – as a Council member you will also be an ex-officio member of the Board.
- Attendance at other events in order to represent the RCN as agreed – up to four to five days should be allowed for this.
- You should also provide for three to four additional days to enable you to take part in other activity and become involved in task and finish groups, for example, as and when required.
- Time for reading papers and other materials in between meetings.
- Taking on a Chair or Vice Chair role will require additional commitment.
Find out more
There is an RCN Council member role descriptor which you may find helpful to understand the qualities we are looking for in Council members.
For full information on the election and its timeline, please read the election procedure.
If you have any further queries please contact RCN Governance on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7647 3644.