Mental health and learning disability nursing: Advancing the profession through the approved clinician role
24 Feb 2022 09:30 - 15:00
This free virtual event is designed to bring together nurses who have been able to take up the Approved Clinician role and provide a forum for them to share what more is needed to consolidate this role in operational practice, while increasing uptake.
The Approved Clinician role was first developed as part of the review and refresh of the Mental Health Act in 2008.
This role was introduced in order to widen the range of professionals who could undertake this role, and ensure better patient care experience and increased patient choice.
This opportunity offers mental health and learning disabilities nurses the option to progress into a senior clinical role, encouraging the retention of some of our most skilled clinicians in the workforce.
Since this development very few nurses have felt able to take up this opportunity, and those that have, often report feeling isolated and unsupported by their ‘professional bodies’. This is a gap we intend to fill.
This event is designed to bring together nurses who have been able to take up this opportunity and provide a forum for them to share what more is needed to consolidate this role in operational practice, while increasing uptake.
It will also act as a showcase for those who may be interested in, or are already commencing the journey to become an AC/RC. Providing a chance for them to learn from their peers, and share tools and interventions that will help them on this journey.
Who should attend?
- Nurses who have achieved the status of Approved Clinician
- Nurses who are training to become an Approved Clinician
- Nurses who are considering becoming an Approved Clinician
- Nurse leaders who wish to develop the roll of Approved Clinician within their organisations.
The event will be hosted on Hopin; the world's leading all-in-one virtual event platform.
The virtual event will include main stage, breakout sessions, exhibition and networking opportunities via speed networking, event/session chat tool bar and the opportunity to direct message or arrange 121 meetings with attendees.
Our virtual venue
This event is hosted on Hopin, the world leading, all-in-one virtual conference platform that enables attendees to connect, learn and interact live with people anywhere.
Please note this is a private event for registered delegates who have a valid conference booking. Registered delegates will also be able to view recorded content after the event.
We recommend reading the following guidance before the event to ensure that you get the best experience using Hopin.
You can also watch this short video introduction to the platform.
A unique registration link will be sent to the email address that you provided.
Click on Go to event to complete the registration. If you already have a Hopin account, you will be automatically logged into your account and redirected to the event Reception page.
If you don’t have a Hopin account, you will be asked to agree Hopin’s terms and conditions first.
Once you have entered your email address, created a password and agreed to the terms and conditions a Hopin account will be created for you and you can join the event.
Updating your profile
When you first access the Hopin platform you’ll be prompted to set up your profile.
You can upload a photo, add your place of work, job title, social media contacts and a brief biography to give you more presence and support networking at the event.
Check your equipment
• Use a computer or laptop if possible, preferably not more than 3 years old
• If using a mobile device please ensure that you use Safari on iOS (tablet) or Google Chrome on Android (mobile phone.)
Check your browser
• Use the latest versions of Google Chrome on your computer or laptop
• Open the event in incognito or private browser window
• If using a work device with firewall protection, share this network guide with your IT department ahead of the event with the list of sites to whitelist.
Check your internet
We recommend running a speedtest before the event to check your bandwidth internet connection.
If the result is poor, you may need to consider a different location or use an ethernet cable between your computer or laptop and internet hub.
• Check that you have followed the advice above for the best experience using Hopin
• Close any programmes that you don’t need including Microsoft Teams
• Refresh your browser
• Quit and relaunch your browser from an incognito or private browser window
• Make sure that nobody else in your household is using the internet as this could effect your bandwidth internet connection
• Restart your computer
• Email RCNevents@rcn.org.uk for further support.
Page last updated - 28/01/2022