Thursday 12th May is Nurses’ Day and there are a number of events planned around the region to celebrate.
Royal College of Nursing Officers in the South East region will be taking cake to hospitals and hospices and local RCN branches have arranged a number of events to celebrate the day.
Nurses’ Day is an annual event held on 12 May, the birthday of nursing legend Florence Nightingale, celebrates the amazing efforts of nursing staff in the UK and around the world. In celebration of International Nurses’ Day, the RCN is calling on patients and their families to say thank you to the nurses who have touched their lives.
Patricia Marquis, Regional Director of the South East region says:
“We know that day in, day out nurses do a great job often with little thanks. This is a fantastic opportunity to shout it from the rooftops that nurses touch lives and make a difference. This Nurses’ Day is a doubly special occasion for the RCN as we’re celebrating 100 years of the College and the profession. Nurses have made a great contribution to society and so it would be wonderful for everyone to show their thanks to all those nurses.”
To share your story online visit the RCN website or send your thanks over social media using the hashtag #thankanurse.
A few of the events going on around the region include:
- University Hospital Southampton: This exciting event will be held in the Heartbeat Education Centre (F level, North wing), with formal presentations being delivered in the Lecture Theatre. There will be poster displays and refreshments available from 12:30pm.
- Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth: An area at main entrance for the public themed patient safety and an area for nurses - incl complimentary massages etc + raffles etc. Our military colleagues are involved and there will be a rep dressed up as Florence Nightingale
- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital, Kent: East Kent Branch are having a stand at QEQM Hospital on Nurses Day, in order to recruit and to publicise the RCN Centenary.
South East Coast Ambulance Service Foundation Trust: Learning activities for staff and managers
- Jersey General Hospital: JGH Parade entrance – display boards, information and free cupcakes for nursing staff on production of ID badge – first come, first served!! (9.30 to 12.30pm)
- Isle of Wight: Nurses’ Day event organised by the Trust