With a turnout of 50.79%, 48.76% accepted the offer and 51.24% rejected the offer. The ballot was run by external agency CES Civica on behalf of the RCN.
Members of the Jersey Nursing Association and Royal College Of Midwives were balloted at the same time, both unions accepted the offer.
Kenny McNeil, convenor at the Royal College Of Nursing says: “As a member led organisation it’s really important that we listen to what our members tell us and act accordingly. Members are telling us that they aren’t happy with the proposed offer so we have to reject it on those grounds. Our next steps will be to meet with our members to understand where their unhappiness lies and move forward accordingly.”
The offer made to members was:
- From 1st January 2021, a consolidated pay award of 0.9%. This would be in line with all other pay groups.
- From 1st January 2022, a consolidated award set at the RPI percentage for Jersey in September 2021.
- Between 1st January 2022 and 31st March 2022, an additional day for annual leave for nurses and midwives.
- Between 1st April 2022 and 31st March 2023, an additional day for annual leave for nurses and midwives.
- A one-off recognition sum of £500 gross for each full-time employee (pro rata part for part-time) Payable from 1 January 2022.