This year, the theme for the wider RCN celebrations is ‘Anti-racism – a moment for literacy and transformation’. 60,000 members from across the region were invited to nominate colleagues who had made a real difference in the delivery of healthcare.
The first winner was Gillian Martin, a mental health nurse and senior lecturer in the Higher Education Department, Health and Community Services, Jersey,
She was nominated for her commitment to improving the lives of those in her care through both role modelling best practice and sharing her knowledge with others. Gillian was also recognised for her role as part of the BAME Group in the Government of Jersey, which offers all staff of BAME background a forum that will provide support, development, and network opportunities. Gillian has also presented at conferences, sharing her thoughts and experiences about being a nurse from a BAME background.
On receiving her award, Gillian said: “I am honoured to receive this award. Diversity and inclusion is embedded in the Government of Jersey but diverse teams need to be supported in the right framework.
“I am proud to part of the BAME Network in the Government of Jersey which aims to provide a safe place to enable staff (from any background) to express their views, as well as to encourage, challenge, and deliver high-quality practice and outcomes for the organisation.
“We have different backgrounds and different experiences in the workplace and by sharing our journey, we can help the organisation to identify ways of supporting wellbeing and development of its BAME community.”
- is from a black, Asian and minority ethnic background, and/or may work with black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
- is an ally who promotes the work of and supports black, Asian and minority ethnic background communities in the course of their work for example through mentorship or coaching.
- is an ally who stands up against racial injustices and is known to actively call out inequalities and discrimination
- is an individual who leads by example not just words
- works in a nursing role across bands 2 upwards, or role equivalent
- is key to the future of nursing (locally and/or nationally)
- is a member of the RCN.