If we endorse an externally-produced professional standard, it means that:
- it's fit for national or UK nursing practice
- it conforms to our quality criteria for professional standards
- you're permitted to use the RCN logo.
Endorsement will only be considered if the publication or resource meets the following mandatory criteria:
- it's of direct relevance to nursing and concerned with services, practice, staffing levels and/or competences
- it applies nationally or across the UK
- it's provided on a non-commercial basis e.g. free to use, not associated with a specific product etc.
- it meets our quality criteria for professional standards.
The Royal College of Nursing notes that there are several types of software and Apps for use in health and social care. The RCN is supportive of the work of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence and its collaborators in developing an assessment tool for Apps used for health and social care. Until such time that a credible assessment tool becomes available the RCN is not in a position to endorse or accredit Apps.
If and when the RCN decides to endorse/accredit Apps we will develop an effective and appropriate process and quality assurance framework for it.
Page last updated - 20/07/2020