Nursing staff across England will celebrate Black History Month at events organised by the RCN on Wednesday 17 October
RCN England Regions are hosting events for nursing staff, the public and RCN staff to celebrate Black History Month.
Black History Month occurs every October and highlights the achievements and contributions of the black community in the UK.
At the RCN it is an opportunity to recognise and celebrate the contribution of black and minority ethnic (BME) nursing staff to health and social care.
Despite BME staff representing a quarter of the NHS nursing workforce, recent analysis of 750,000 staff salaries in the NHS in England by NHS Digital found black female nurses and midwives earn £2,700 a year less than their white colleagues and black male nurses and midwives £1,872 a year less.
The free events include conferences supported by local trusts and nursing groups as well as celebrations at Colchester Football Stadium and West Bromwich Albion. They will highlight how health and care organisations are working to end discrimination and bias within health care.
Cecilia Akrisie Anim, President of the Royal of College of Nursing, will be speaking at the RCN North West and RCN West Midlands Black History Month Conferences in Manchester and West Bromwich. She will say:
“Thirty one years on from the first Black History Month event we are here celebrating and flying the flag for tolerance and equality. Sadly barriers and prejudices still exist in our society, including in our NHS and independent health and social care services.
“But progress is being made, the NHS I work in today is more diverse than ever before, reflecting the patients we care for. I’m proud of the work Royal College of Nursing members have done to celebrate Black History Month and to put equality and inclusion on the map.”
Notes to Editors
For full details about the regional events taking place on Wednesday 17 October please visit:
- North West Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/black-history-month-conference-north-west
- West Midlands Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/westmids-black-history-month-conference-2018
- Yorkshire and the Humber Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/black-history-month-nursing-conference-yorkshire-and-the-humber
- Eastern Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/black-history-month-nursing-conference
- London Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/black-history-month
- South West Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/rcn-black-history-month-conference-in-bristol-17-october
- South East Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/black-history-month-conference-south-east
- Northern Region: https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/events/rcn-black-history-month-conference-17-october
To find out more about each individual event please contact the relevant RCN Regional Communications Manager, whose details can be found here: https://www.rcn.org.uk/about-us/press-office