Scholarships and bursaries
The RCN supports a number of scholarships and bursaries to provide professional development opportunities for nursing professionals.
As a nursing professional, you can apply for RCN bursaries, RCN Foundation bursaries and other awards to fund your professional development.
It can be difficult to get funding from your employer to do continuing professional development but there are other ways that you can get finance. Some Universities offer bursaries and grants that are exclusive to their courses. It is worth checking out their websites and talking to the admissions team for clarification.
The following list is a snapshot of what is currently available.
RCN bursaries provide professional development opportunities for nursing professionals.
As a nursing professional, you can apply for RCN bursaries to fund courses, study tours, projects, research or conference attendance.
RCN bursaries will be listed here when available.
- Barbers Company Clinical Nursing Scholarship
- Bevan Foundation. Wales' most innovative think tank.
- Burdett Trust for Nursing. The Burdett Trust for Nursing was established in 2002 with the aim of making charitable grants to support the nursing contribution to healthcare.
- Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland. Award Schemes Archive
- Churchill Fellowship
- Commonwealth Fund Fellowships
- Florence Nightingale Foundation
- Jan Dewing Award. Applications are invited from nurses, with a current professional NMC registration, working in clinical practice in any UK health or social care setting, who can demonstrate how they have enabled the advancement of person-centred practice within their care teams. The closing date is 26 February 2024.
- Murray Edwards College, Cambridge. New postgraduate scholarships launched for Muslim women.
- NHS Business Services Authority. NHS Learning Support Fund (LSF)
- Nurses Memorial to King Edward VII in Scotland. Help for nurses in need.
- Nursing Association of Jamaica
- Queen's Nursing Institute. Educational grants
- Ruth Hayman Trust
- Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust. Grants for postgraduates.
RCN Foundation bursaries
The RCN Foundation is an independent charity. It offers a number of bursaries to fund learning, development and research opportunities.
Page last updated - 16/01/2024