Fair Pay for Nursing
Learn about our campaign and see how you can get involved
Join us to demand pay justice for nursing staff.
Nursing staff are chronically undervalued. Despite nursing being a highly skilled, degree-educated, safety-critical profession, outdated pay structures mean that many nursing staff begin and end their careers at the same pay level.
The situation is critical. Poor pay and working conditions are forcing staff to leave nursing. Almost half of the thousands of frontline NHS staff we recently surveyed say they’re actively planning or considering leaving their job.
We know that when nursing staff are paid fairly, offered career progression and work in fully staffed teams, they're more likely to stay in the profession.
We need members and supporters to come together to demand pay justice, improved career progression and safe staffing measures to address the workforce crisis in our health systems and achieve the recognition nursing staff deserve.
Our fight for fair pay
We're calling on governments across the UK to properly value nursing as the skilled and safety-critical profession it is. Politicians must:
- Recognise that nursing wage rises have consistently been below inflation. The impact of this has been exacerbated by the cost-of-living crisis.
- Value the training, qualifications, skills, responsibilities and experience shown every day by nursing staff.
- Commit to a substantial, above-inflation pay rise, to recognise the chronic workforce shortages and encourage staff to join and stay in the profession.
- Introduce measures to improve long-term career prospects for nursing staff.
- Create a fresh start for nursing as an attractive, rewarding profession to tackle the tens of thousands of unfilled nursing posts.
How are staffing levels and low pay affecting you right now? How is the cost-of-living crisis and the remnants of a global pandemic impacting your work and life? Capture your lived experience with our easy-to-use tool and help tell the true story of UK nursing.
Latest campaign news
23 Feb 2024
We’re demanding a significant pay enhancement of ‘several thousand’ to stem the exodus of nursing staff, alongside a substantial above-inflation NHS pay rise.
15 Feb 2024
Isle of Man members agree pay offer.
8 Feb 2024
Government must fund pay increase for general practice nursing staff now.
Visit our Strike Hub
Stay up to date with new details about strike action, learn about strike benefit, donate to our strike fund and more.
Your strength is in your numbers
Our fight for fair pay in independent health and social care
Page last updated - 21/02/2024