Royal College of Nursing responds to HSIB report on undetected battery ingestion in children
Responding to the HSIB report on undetected battery ingestion in children, RCN Professional Lead for Public Health Helen Donovan said:
“This is a welcome report that highlights the very real risks these batteries can cause if they are swallowed.
“Whilst these batteries are dangerous to all if they are swallowed they pose a particular risk to small children.
“They can easily become lodged in the throat or make it down to the stomach where they can create a dangerous chemical reaction.
“This can lead to horrific burns and has even been known to cause death.
“If a child swallows one of these batteries you should seek immediate medical help by calling an ambulance or going to A&E.
“It is important that you do not let them drink or eat as this can quicken the reaction with the battery.
“Parents should be vigilant about the toys and devices they buy for their children and ensure they meet the necessary safety standards.
"Education on the risks of leaving children and young people alone where they could accidentally access these batteries can also help in preventing accidents.”