arrow_up-blue blog branches consultations events facebook-icon facebook-icon2 factsheet forum-icon forum hands key link location lock mail measure menu_plus news pdf pdf2 phone policies publications related search share subjectguide twitter-icon word instagram-icon youtube-icon

NHS injury allowance

This is a guide for RCN members on NHS Injury Allowance which provides support for staff who sustain an injury, disease or other health condition which is attributable to their employment.

NHS injury allowance

NHS injury allowance can be used to top up your sick pay or earnings (if you are on a phased return). It can be paid for up to 12 months per episode. You may be able to claim if you meet all of the following:

  • you are employed within the NHS
  • you have had an accident or contracted an illness/disease that is ‘wholly or mainly attributable’ to your NHS employment*
  • you are on authorised sickness absence or a phased return to work
  • you have had your earnings reduced to less than 85% of your pay because of your ill health.

*For further guidance, please see the NHS employers website.

If successful, you can receive up to 85% of your pay.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Submitting a claim

You should notify your employer as soon as possible if you believe your sickness absence is work related. Ideally the nature of your condition should be outlined in your Fit Note. You may also need to submit additional medical evidence and witness statements.

Local policy will outline the specific action to take. This may include submitting a claim form to your employer who will decide whether you are entitled to injury allowance. If your claim is successful, you should receive the payment before your sick pay runs out.

If you disagree with your employer’s decision please call us for further advice.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Example scenarios

Injury Allowance may be paid if you suffer from:

  • a physical or psychiatric injury/illness due to a specific incident or series of incidents at work
  • an injury or disease that does not manifest itself for several years e.g. asbestosis, Hepatitis C following a needlestick injury
  • an injury whilst travelling on official duty e.g. road traffic accident (RTA)
  • an injury sustained off duty, e,g, whilst providing treatment which requires professional skills at the scene of a RTA
  • an injury inflicted off duty which can still be attributed to your NHS employment (e.g. being assaulted on the way home from work by ex-patient).
  • an injury, illness or other health condition contracted due to a series of incidents relating to NHS employment (e.g. exposure to noxious substances causing injury, condition or disease over a period).

It cannot be considered if:

  • you are injured whilst on a normal journey travelling to and from work
  • you are on sickness absence as a result of employment related matters (e.g. you are the subject of investigation/capability/disciplinary procedures or as a result of a failed application for promotion or transfer)
  • you sustain an injury/disease at work which is due to or aggravated by your own negligence or misconduct.
Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Pay protection

You are entitled to some pay protection if you have to change jobs permanently to a position on lower pay, or have to reduce your hours due to a work related injury, or illness. Pay protection should be awarded in line with your employer’s organisational change policy.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue

Further information

RCN Lamplight Support Service - income maximisation

RCN Welfare, Rights and Guidance

NHSBSA Injury Benefit Scheme

Agenda for Change terms and conditions – section 22 and Annex 26

Please also see your contract of employment and relevant local policies.

Back to contents arrow_up-blue
Call the RCN on: 03457726100

Page last updated - 25/01/2018