with thanks to the RCN Critical Care and Flight Nursing Forum
Nursing can be a busy, stressful and emotionally draining job which can affect our lives beyond the workplace. A global pandemic in the year of the nurse and midwife has highlighted this more than ever.
We have put together some handy links to just some of what is available to you. We have divided these into four pillars, physical, emotional & mental, financial, and social wellbeing to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
Pillar 1 - Mental wellbeing
There is a wide variety of resources to help with this. We have linked just a few that may help with sleep, meditation or stress. You can also access confidential support by telephone or text message should you need it.
- Intensive Care Society. Wellbeing hub on the intensive care society’s website with useful webinars, podcasts advice for staff and managers and links to other resources.
- Nurse Lifeline. Peer support listening service set up and run by and for nurses and midwives.
- RCN Foundation. Mental Health and Wellbeing Repository
- Our NHS People. A website dedicated to NHS personnel and wellbeing with links to many resources for support.
Pillar 3 - Social wellbeing
Social wellbeing is important to all of us. Socialising, giving back, being with others outside of work can help us to feel valued and part of a community.
Maintaining social connections can be tricky but volunteering can provide a way to connect with people.
Pillar 2 - Physical wellbeing
Whether it’s about a workout at home, help with building activity into your routine, sound nutritional advice or a podcast to listen to on a walk there’s something to help. Many of these offer discounts or are free to those in the NHS to support you increasing your activity and improving your physical wellness.
- Fit 4 The Fight. #DoingOutBit, a platform of over 50 free workouts for NHS staff from a variety of personal trainers.
- The Food Medic. Website and podcast produced by an NHS doctor with an interest in nutrition and women’s health.
- Dr Chatterjee. Podcast from an NHS GP with an interest in lifestyle medicine, some longer listens but also some short bitesize episodes covering things like sleep, nutrition, exercise, how to establish good habits.
Pillar 4 - Financial wellbeing
Financial challenges can affect any of us. There are some great resources available if you need help to manage your money, tips on how to save or assistance with debt.
- RCN member support services. Providing support with mental wellbeing and financial support advice, alongside legal and workplace advice line for members.
- RCNi wellbeing centre. Really useful wellbeing resources from RCNi and the Nursing standard including relevant articles podcasts and links to all aspects of wellbeing for nurses.
- Our NHS People. Website dedicated to NHS personnel and wellbeing with links to many resources for support.