Depending on who owns the cookie, they are classified as:
First-party cookies: These are created by the website (domain) you are visiting, for example rcn.org.uk.
Third-party cookies: These are created by domains other than the one you are visiting. They allow tracking across different sites to help deliver services, and also to retarget and show ads to you. For example, Hotjar and Google Analytics.
Depending on the purpose of the cookie, they are classified as:
Essential cookies are technical cookies that are required for the operation of our websites. Without these our sites can’t operate properly. Examples include cookies that enable you to log into secure areas, allow images to load, and orders to be processed.
Experience cookies allow our websites to:
- Recognise and count the number of visitors, and to see how they move through the website. This helps us to better understand and improve the way our sites work.
- Remember the choices you make, providing you with better and more personalised features. For example, to compare the choices you make to those of our other visitors so that we can learn from those choices and provide enhanced, more personalised features to you, such as product recommendations.
Experience cookies cannot track your browsing activity when you leave our websites to browse other websites.
Marketing & Advertising cookies
Advertising cookies record your visits to our websites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We use this information to:
- Help make the advertising displayed on our websites and certain third-party websites more relevant to your interests.
- Limit the number of times that you see an ad.
- Help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign.
If you would like to find out more about the specific cookies we use, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.