The RCN has actively engaged with research for more than 50 years, recognising its critical relationship with excellence. High quality nursing research and support to innovate and use evidence in practice, enables nurses and those who work with them to develop new knowledge and nursing practice, and to ultimately transform patient care.
The Standards Knowledge and Information Services, made up of the Research and Innovation Team and the Library and Archives, are a key support in the RCNs commitment to be a champion of nursing excellence in knowledge and innovation, and their translation into practice, and much of our work lies at the heart of the RCN Knowledge and Innovation Action Plan for 2014 - 2018.
About this resource
The research and innovation pages of the RCN website have been developed as a one-stop-shop for all your nursing research and innovation needs, signposting resources that support you on your research journey.
Working with our members
The RCN Research Society is one of 30 forums, made up of members working to share knowledge and influence nursing practice.
Join our fortnightly eBulletin
Make sure you get all the latest on research and innovation developments by signing up for our fortnightly e-bulletin. Go to the Fortnightly Bulletin pages to see examples of previous bulletins, or sign up using the very simple form.
USE knowledge in practice and policy
- Building nursing leadership capability in economic assessment. A supported learning opportunity
- Nursing innovation. An online resource in support of nurses involved in innovative activity.
- Product innovations. A growing list of product innovations that have been developed by nurses.
- Database of healthcare journals. A list of journals which actively encourage nursing contributions.
BUILD a dynamic knowledge base of sufficient coverage and depth
- Nursing professoriate. Detailing every nurse, midwife and health visitor holding a tenured chair at a UK Higher Education Institution
- Influencing research funding and research priorities. Nurse representation on advisory boards.
- Clinical research. A one-stop-shop for nurses and health care support workers working in clinical research
- A career in research/clinical research. A resource for anyone thinking about a career in research/clinical research
- Postgraduate research training opportunities. A list of postgraduate courses on offer in the UK
- Nursing professoriate. A longitudinal survey of the nursing and midwifery professoriate in the UK
- Research funding. A growing list of health research funding organisations who offer funding to which nurses can apply.
ASSURE a knowledge base of breadth and rigour
- Information coming soon [Jun 2015].
SHARE the knowledge we have and enhance ways to access and contribute to it
- RCN annual international nursing research conference. Taking place in Edinburgh in 2016
- Winifred Raphael Memorial public Lecture. The annual RCN Research Society lecture
- Quality and Safety e-bulletin. Produced fortnightly by the Nursing Department
- Patient and public involvement in research. A one-stop-shop for those interested in PPI.
- UK Higher Education Institutions - nursing/midwifery research. Detailing the research interests of UK HEIs.
If you would like to know more about the work of the RCN Research & Innovation team, please email: email@example.com.
This page was last reviewed 24 June 2015