What the RCN Welfare Service can help with
Before contacting the service, we encourage you to look at our online advice and complete the tools/checkers relevant to your situation, as this may answer your query without the need to wait for an appointment.
If you've already used the online advice pages and completed any relevant tools/checkers (or if your physical health / mental health / personal circumstances prevent you from doing so) we can offer:
- Advice and assistance with benefits decisions (e.g. if you're confused by a change/stop/underpayment of benefits, or need help challenging a benefit decision)
- Advice if you're struggling to manage your finances and have problem debts (such as rental arrears, overpayment of wages/NHS Pensions/DWP Benefits/HMRC Tax Credits)
- Information to help you understand your financial situation, including encouraging and empowering you to take control of your finances
- Exploring ways for you to increase your income and/or reduce your expenditure if you're struggling financially (including welfare benefits and tax credits)
- Signposting you to additional services or resources
Please note, at the current time the RCN is unable to offer FCA Regulated Debt Counselling. If you are seeking advice with consumer credit debts such as credit cards, bank overdrafts, and Hire Purchase then please see the Debt and Money management page for information on the steps you can take and how to access support.
If you're confused by the benefits system, have questions about changes to your benefits, or need to challenge a benefits decision, we can help.
Resources, and tools to help you with budgeting, banking, car costs, utilities, tips on saving and advice on analysing spending habits.
Advice if you're worried about your finances, rent/mortgage, or debt, as well as information on charitable funding, financial aid and where to seek support.