Sammi, an RCN Rep, finds that being Deaf makes her an excellent communicator who has changed perceptions at work.
In her film, Sammi talks about the reasonable adjustments she has in her role, disclosing a disability during the recruitment process and what makes an inclusive workplace.
- A modified sickness attendance policy (sometimes referred to as "disability leave") means Sammi isn't penalised for time off related to being Deaf.
- A positive, solution based approach to interviews works best for Sammi.
- Line manager support is key and managers should work with staff to get adjustments in place.
- The health and wellbeing of staff impacts on the wellbeing of a service.
- Retaining staff with health conditions or disabilities is key to safe and effective staffing.